Agios Ioannis (St. John) (Episkopi)
The Byzantine basilica of Saint John in Episkopi was likely built on the ruins of an Early Christian Basilica. It is a wooden-roofed, three-aisled basilica that was built in the domed cruciform style after being destroyed in 1303. The surviving murals date back to the 14th century.
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) (Kyrianna)
The Byzantine church of the Dormition of Mother Mary is located at the centre of Kyrianna. It is an arch-covered cruciform domed church with a large narthex, dating back to the 11th century. During the early years of the era of Ventian rule, the church was expanded to the west, where doors were added with […]
Agios Dimitrios (St. Demetrius) (Agios Dimitrios)
The village was named after the Byzantine church of Saint Demetrius located in its northwest district. It is a cross-in-square domed church dating back to the 11th century and its stand-out features are its tall arches, arced openings and blind arches in its dome. The mural of Saint Tryfonas stands out among the surviving murals.
Panagia Kera (Our Lady) (Chromonastiri)
Panagia Kera is an 11th century cruciform Byzantine church with a cylindrical dome and narthex that is higher than its central part. Its murals date back to two periods (11th & 14th century), although few of the 11th century murals survive. The most important is the large icon of the Virgin Mary.
Agios Eftichios (St. Eutychius) (Chromonastiri)
This is an 11th century Byzantine church, as its murals testify. It was originally a single-aisled cruciform church, but received various additions over time, resulting in four smaller rooms around its central aisle at present. Agios Eftichios is the only church on Crete with five spaces. The murals were painted by Ioannis Xenos.
Church of Panagia (Mother Mary) (Roussospiti)
This is a 14th century single-space basilica that served as the first parish church of Roussospiti. It was converted into a café in 1896 by the Ottomans. During its recent restoration, Christian and Muslim tombs were discovered in its courtyard, meaning that it also served as the first cemetery of the village. The church features […]
Antifonitria (She Who Retorts) Monastery
The Church of Panagia ton Myriokefalon in the village of Myriokefala served as the catholicon of the Monastery of Panagia Antifonitria, dating back to the 11th century, which has not survived. The Monastery was built by Ossios Ioannis Xenos and remained in operation until the early 20th century. Apart from the catholicon, the remaining buildings […]
Attali Monastery or Bale
Attali Monatery or Bale is located on the hills of Agia Ypakoi near Bali and is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. Although the monastery dates back to the 14th century, written testimonies date back to 1628 onwards. The Monastery is built on numerous levels and features stables, an oil mill, baking premises, a fountain, […]
An old men’s monastery, located 12km east of Rethymno, in the Pangalochori community, possibly founded during the 2nd Byzantine period (961-1204). It was founded by a monk named Arsenios, after whom it was named. According to the most likely version of events, it was deserted at one point due to pirates causing problems to coastal […]
Osia Maria Egyptia (Holy Maria from Egypt) Church (Samaria)
Half way down into the Samaria Gorge lies the deserted village of the same name. Here stands the Byzantine Church of Osia Maria from Egypt, which gave the gorge its name (osiamaria=samaria). This is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church with 14th century murals.