Early Christian Basilica (Agia Roumeli)
The ruins of a three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof and a narthex, built on the ruins of an older church. Within the sanctum there is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church with 15th century murals, now well-preserved. As in most early Christian basilicas, there is a mosaic floor dating from the 6th century with geometric shapes […]
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Komitades)
A small Byzantine church with murals painted in 1314 by icon painter, Ioannis Pagomenos. There is a special mural depicting the donors of the church, while emphasis is given to the life of St. George.
Metamorphosis tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Redeemer) Church (Myrthios)
This is a truly old church, built before 961. The bell tower was erected much later, in 1589, during Venetian rule. The mural paintings that stand out are the scenes of Hell and the icon of St. Charalampus.
Panagias (Mother Mary) Church (Lambini)
This is a simple four-pillar, cruciform church with a cupola. It dates from the end of the 12th century. Mural decorations are to a great extent preserved despite physical deterioration and the fact that the church had been set on fire. The murals were painted in three different periods between the 12th and the 15th […]
Agios Haralampos & Agios Theodoros (St. Charalampus & St. Theodore) (Spili)
A two-aisled church dedicated to St. Charalampus and St. Theodore, the oldest aisle dedicated to the latter. Unfortunately, only the sanctum murals have been preserved; however, the wonderful wood-carved iconostasis includes 19th century icons with typical features of the Cretan School. The church also has an impressive bell tower with baroque elements.
Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Kissos)
A one-aisled, tile covered church without windows, possibly erected in the 14th century. The church is covered by two layers of murals preserved in very good condition and the wooden iconostasis was made in 1935.
Agia Paraskevi (St. Paraskevi) (Melambes)
A small 14th century basilica with murals painted in two phases. A huge plane tree shades the church and there is a fountain in the yard. A large annual festival is held here on July 16.
Agios Georgios Xiphophoros (St. George the Sword-bearer) (Apodoulos)
A 13th century church; According to its inscription, it was the catholicon (main church) of the monastery. It is a one-aisled basilica with numerous murals. In the north part of the church the depiction of St. George holding a sword stands out.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Fourfouras)
St. George stands at the Mourtzes or Mourtza location, southeast of the village. It is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church, built on the ruins of an older church, and it dates from the 15th century. The murals are preserved in good condition and originated in the first half of the 15th century.
Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Vizari)
A small Byzantine church built on the top of a hill above Vizari; it is one-aisled and arch-roofed with numerous murals preserved in quite good condition.