Church of Timios Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) (Sitanos)
This is a Byzantine church belonging to the architectural style of free cross with dome—one of only a few of its kind in eastern Crete. Its surviving murals are few but showcase excellent craftsmanship and date back to the 14th century.
Agia Ekaterini and Genessio tis Theotokou (St. Catherine & Nativity of Mary) (Armenoi)
The church of Saint Catherine is located in the abandoned village of Etia, close to the impressive Venetian mansion Dei Mezzo. It is a two-aisled church dedicated to Saint Catherine and the Virgin Mary. The original aisle was adorned with murals. The church’s architecture and sophisticated decorative elements betray Renaissance influence, and its relief-decorated belfry […]
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Armenoi)
A single-space arch-covered church, Saint George was subsequently expanded with a narthex. The church was likely built during the late Byzantine era. Its murals date back to the 14th and 15th centuries and depict scenes from the Christological cycle.
Church of Panagia Eleousa (Our Lady of Mercy) and Agios Haralampos (St. Charalampus) (Papayiannades)
This is actually a complex comprising two churches that have been joined into one. The church of the Virgin Mary was built first, and was later joined to the church of Saint Charalampus, to its south, with a transverse arch. Notable murals, dating back to 1363, still survive in the church of the Virgin Mary.
Saint George at Apano Symi
St. George is located at the entrance of the deserted settlement of Apano [Upper] Symi, and a little outside the settlement of Kato [Lower] Symi of Viannos. The architectural plan of the church is the result of the addition of a spacious transept to the original, single-nave church, which is not far in date from […]
Saint George at Meseleroi
The single-nave church of St. George is located at the centre of the settlement of Meseleroi. Its wall painting decoration dates to around 1300 and is partially preserved. The large representation of the Ascension develops on the east section of the barrel-vault, while on the west, are a few representations from the cycle of the […]
Saint Marina at Meseleroi
The single-nave church of St. Marina, whose south side is formed with a large buttress, is located on the east corner of the settlement of Meseleroi. It is dated according to the wall painting decoration, the work of an anonymous but excellent painter, to the first quarter of the 14th century. Its iconographic programme presents […]
All – Holy Virgin the Mesochoritissa [‘of the Middle Land’] at Malles
The single-nave church of the All-Holy Virgin, in the centre of the settlement, was expanded to the west during a second phase. The two construction phases correspond also to the two layers of wall painting decoration that adorn its interior. The older, in the east and central sections, dates to the early 14th century, a […]
Panagia Keragrammeni (Our Lady Inscribed) (Kapistri)
This small, single-space arch-covered church is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary and is extensively decorated with 15th century murals. Despite not being particularly well preserved, the murals are rather impressive and of excellent quality. The depictions of the Virgin and Child and of Jesus Christ stand out amongst them.
Agios Mamas (Saint Mammes) (Kapistri)
Originally a small arch-covered church, it was later extended with additions to its western side. Its murals of excellent technique have not been preserved well. Also impressive are the full-body depictions of saints and that of Saint George on his mount.