Panagia i Evangelistria (Our Lady of Evangelisation) (Avdou)
The church of Evangelistria in Avdou was erected in the 14th century in the style of free cross with dome. It is one of the oldest mural-adorned churches in the village, with a more recent stone belfry with relief décor, built in 1912.
Afentis Christos (Christ our Lord) (Potamies)
This is a 15th century single-space arch-covered church situated near Gouverniotissa Monastery. The surviving murals are few in number but very impressive.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Prina)
This is a single-space arch-covered church with murals dating back to the first centuries of the era of Venetian rule.
Saint John the Theologian at Lakkoi
The small church of St. John is located inside the settlement of Lakkoi, abandoned decades ago, to the northeast of Krousta. The church, which had been built in place of an older, larger church, was decorated in 1347/48 by the lord John Klontzias, as the dedicatory inscription on the west wall informs us. The iconographic […]
Kato Ai Giorgis (Lower St. George) (Kroutas)
This is a single-space arch-covered church featuring Venetian stone sculptures and 13th century murals.
Agios Georgios (St. George) Kavoussiotis (Kritsa)
This is a small single-space arch-covered church with 13th and 14th century murals depicting prophets and full-size-bodied Saints, the most impressive being the exceptionally vibrant Saint George on a horse.
Agios Ioannis Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) (Kritsa)
This is a small arch-covered church that was recently restored. The murals date back to 1370 and the most remarkable are those on the eastern side, depicting scenes from hell.
The church of Panagia Kera at Kritsa
The three-aisled, barrel-vaulted church of the All-Holy Virgin ‘the Lady’ with a dome on the nave is located to the south and at a distance of around 500 metres from the settlement of Kritsas. The church is one of the most important visited monuments of Crete because of its extensive and well-preserved wall painting decoration […]
Michael the Archangel at Lakonia
The single-nave, externally simple, church of Michael the Archangel, in the south outskirts of the settlement of Lakonia, has in its interior one of the best preserved wall painting compositions of the 15th century in Crete, painted in 1431/32. The iconographic programme in the main church includes only five scenes from the Gospel cycle as […]
Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Limnes)
The single-space arch-covered church of Agios Ioannis dates back to 1310. Of its surviving murals, the majority cover the story of the Crucifixion and the Ascension.