The City of Chania SEE ALL AVAILABLE ROUTES
Chania is the second biggest city on Crete, situated where the most extensive and long-lived Minoan settlement, namely Kydonia, used to be located.
The city is built around the elevation where the ancient city stood; today it preserves its medieval character and is justifiably considered to be the most beautiful city on the island. It is the contrasts of cities that create such enchanting beauty. It is a magical, sumptuous location with a wealth of images that revive the past and take visitors back to the past.
The district of the Venetian port with the Light House (Pharos), Neoreia [Venetian dockyards] and Firkas Fortress are some of the most attractive spots in Chania, with numerous interesting and pleasant city facilities and activities on offer.
The dream-like sense of the old port and life along the quaint narrow lanes leave indelible memories visitors can take back home.
The city of Chania is adorned by numerous churches of exceptional architectural and historic value. Visiting them is an invitation to acquaint oneself with the local culture and people.
The Holy Church of San Salvatore, where the truly interesting Byzantine and post-Byzantine Collection of Chania is kept, can be the starting point for the religious itinerary through the city. The tour can include the Cathedral of Mother Mary’s Presentation (Eisodia tis Theotokou), the Catholic Church of the Dormition, St. Francis’ Church, next to the Archaeological Museum of Chania, the Church of St. Nicholas of Splanzia, the old Agioi Anargyroi Cathedral (Holy Unmercenaries), the Church of St. Magdalene and the Church of the Annunciation [Evangelismos]. The tour around the city of Chania can be completed at the Monastery of the Life-giving Font (Zoodochos Pigi) (Chryssopigi=Golden fountain).
Holy Metropolis of Kydonia and Apokoronos
The Metropolis comprises the provinces of Kydonia and Apokoronos, in the Prefecture of Chania and its See is in Chania. Kydonia was one of the oldest and most important cities on Crete. Its diocese, like most on the island, was funded by St. Titus. It was founded even before 381 AD, since Bishop Kydoios attended […]
Franciscan Church of San Salvatore
The church of San Salvatore is part of the San Salvatore Monastery of the Franciscan Order. The earliest phase of construction probably dates back to the 15th century, and it was followed by additions and alterations made in the 16th and the 17th century. In the years of the Turkish rule it was turned into […]
Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary
The nave of the Cathedral is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin to the Temple, while the two aisles are dedicated to Saint Nicholas and the Three Holy Hierarchs. An earlier church of the Venetian period existed on the same site, which was transformed into a soap factory during the Turkish rule. The building […]
Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary
The church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary (Evangelistria) is the largest in the city of Chania. Its building began in 1908 and was completed thanks to a fundraiser which was conducted in Orthodox communities abroad. It is a cruciform church with a dome, and it was inaugurated in 1923.
Catholic Cathedral and Parish Church of the Dormition of Our Lady
A three-aisled, neoclassical style church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was inaugurated in April 1879. It has operated continuously since then, as the Cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Crete. It is located in Halidon Street.
Saint Francis’ Church (Archaeological Museum of Chania)
The building which nowadays houses the Archaeological Museum of Chania, in Halidon Street, once belonged to the Monastery of Saint Francis of the Franciscan Order. It has undergone multiple modifications, given that several phases of construction are visible, including extensions, and changes in the use of the building. In the period of the Turkish occupation […]
Saint Nicholas’ Church (Splantzia Square)
The church of Saint Nicholas was built in the Venetian years (circa 1320) as the main church of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. During the Turkish rule it was transformed into a mosque, and an impressive minaret with two balconies was erected. In 1928 it became an Orthodox church. It is located east of […]
Church of Agii Anargyri
A small three-aisled church, dedicated to the Early Christian martyrs and Saints Cosmas and Damian, as well as to Saint Artemios and Saint Charalampos. It is located in the Agii Anargyri quarter. It is not known when the church was built, however it is believed that it dates back to the Venetian period (13th century). […]
Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
A truly impressive Russian style church, surrounded by an equally beautiful garden can be seen in the quarter of Halepa. The church was built by Prince George, High Commissioner of Crete, and it was inaugurated in 1903, in the presence of Queen Olga, Prince George, the Metropolitan Bishop of Crete Evgenios and very few other […]
Chrysopigi (Golden Font) Convent
The Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegic Monastery of Chrysopigi lies a short distance from the town of Chania. It was founded in the middle of the 16th century in the last period of Venetian rule in Crete. The Monastery is dedicated to our Lady of the Life-Giving Spring, who is known popularly as ‘Chrysopigi’, the Golden […]