Saint Nicholas’ Church (Splantzia Square)
The church of Saint Nicholas was built in the Venetian years (circa 1320) as the main church of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. During the Turkish rule it was transformed into a mosque, and an impressive minaret with two balconies was erected. In 1928 it became an Orthodox church. It is located east of the district of Kasteli, in the much-frequented Splantzia Square (1821 Square), where one can also see the Venetian chapel of Saint Rocco’s and the plane tree where the Turks hanged the Bishop of Kissamos, Melhisedek Despotakis, in 1821.