Saint Constantine at Dories
The twin-naved church at Dories, dedicated to St. Constantine and to the Holy Cross, was the catholicon of a relatively small monastery from which only a few buildings survive with the most important of these being a barrel-vaulted one to the north of the church. The early history of the monastery, even though unknown in its details, bears testimony to its function during the late period of the Venetian occupation, the period to which the catholicon is dated. The later belfry, with the bas relief figures of Saints Constantine and Helen, was rebuilt in 1872. Of particular interest in the interior of the church is the wood-carved altar screen, probably of the 18th century, and its collection of icons. The older, double-sided icon of the All-Holy Virgin Odegetria and the Crucifixion, from the end of the 14th or the first half of the 15th century, deserve special reference. The doors of the diakonicon and the prothesis with the usual, for these locations, depictions of Christ as the High Priest and the Three Hierarchs respectively, as well as the excellent Crucifixion of 1673, belong to the period of the Cretan School.