Sotiras (Afentis) Christos (Redeemer (Lord) Christ) (Yiouchtas)
The church of Christ the Redeemer is tetramartyros (with four dedications) and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ (August 6), the Holy Cincture (August 31), the Holy Apostles (30 June) and the Holy Unmercenaries (July 1). It was founded in 1443 and is the only remainder of the monastery that was in operation here […]
Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Voritsi)
The church of St. Kyriake was built in 1901 by an ascetic named ‘Mose’, who lived in the cave located next to the church.
Agios Minas (St. Menas) (Episkopi)
St. Menas is the patron saint of the Diocese of Heraklion. It is a two-aisled church erected in 1882, with its northern aisle dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary and its southern aisle to St. Menas. One of the most noteworthy elements of the church is its marble chancel screen.
Aghiou Petrou & Pavlou (St. Peter & St. Paul) Church
The church was built during the early era of Venetian rule next to the sea wall of the city and served as the Catholicon of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. In its initial form, it was a single-aised wooden-roofed church and four chapels were gradually added to it. Its architecture is particularly interesting, as […]
Agios Titos (St. Titus)
The church of St. Titus was the largest and most magnificent church in the city during the 2nd Byzantine era, serving as the Metropolis of the Diocese of Crete. During the era of Venetian rule, it served as the seat of the Latin Archbishop, while during the Ottoman era, it was converted into a mosque, […]
Panagia ton Stavroforon (Mother Mary of the Crusaders)
The Mother Mary of the Crusaders is part of a Latin monastery of the Crusaders (Crosecchieri), the remaining structures of which no longer survive. It is a three-aisled basilica with an elevated nave. It was destroyed by German bombs during the Battle of Crete in 1941 and was restored in 1956.
Old Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
This is the ‘small’ church of St. Menas and the Pantanassa (Most Holy Queen of All), with its intricate, gilded, wood-carved chancel screen and its valuable 18th century icons painted by renowned Cretan hagiographers. The church is linked to a bloody incident in the city’s history, as it was the site where, in June 1821, […]
Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
The big church of St. Menas, to the northeast of the small one, was built between 1862–1895 by a practical architect from Epirus, Athanasios Mousis, with frequent contributions of the monasteries and donations from hundreds of Christians, as can be noted from the church’s manuscript books of donations. It is an eclectic monument whose architectural […]
Chrysopigi (Golden Font) Convent
The Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegic Monastery of Chrysopigi lies a short distance from the town of Chania. It was founded in the middle of the 16th century in the last period of Venetian rule in Crete. The Monastery is dedicated to our Lady of the Life-Giving Spring, who is known popularly as ‘Chrysopigi’, the Golden […]
Holy Metropolis of Kydonia and Apokoronos
The Metropolis comprises the provinces of Kydonia and Apokoronos, in the Prefecture of Chania and its See is in Chania. Kydonia was one of the oldest and most important cities on Crete. Its diocese, like most on the island, was funded by St. Titus. It was founded even before 381 AD, since Bishop Kydoios attended […]