Place search

The church of Christ the Redeemer is tetramartyros (with four dedications) and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ (August 6), the Holy Cincture (August 31), the Holy Apostles (30 June) and the Holy Unmercenaries (July 1).

It was founded in 1443 and is the only remainder of the monastery that was in operation here throughout the era of Venetian rule. In fact, the monastery was visited by numerous individuals seeking the grave of Zeus.

The view from the courtyard of the church, reaching to the edge of a cliff, is impressive, with views of the vineyards of the Archanes area, the city of Heraklion and the sea.

A great celebration is held here on August 6, the feast day of the Transfiguration.