Saint Francis’ Church (Archaeological Museum of Chania)
The building which nowadays houses the Archaeological Museum of Chania, in Halidon Street, once belonged to the Monastery of Saint Francis of the Franciscan Order. It has undergone multiple modifications, given that several phases of construction are visible, including extensions, and changes in the use of the building. In the period of the Turkish occupation […]
Catholic Cathedral and Parish Church of the Dormition of Our Lady
A three-aisled, neoclassical style church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was inaugurated in April 1879. It has operated continuously since then, as the Cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Crete. It is located in Halidon Street.
Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary
The nave of the Cathedral is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin to the Temple, while the two aisles are dedicated to Saint Nicholas and the Three Holy Hierarchs. An earlier church of the Venetian period existed on the same site, which was transformed into a soap factory during the Turkish rule. The building […]
Franciscan Church of San Salvatore
The church of San Salvatore is part of the San Salvatore Monastery of the Franciscan Order. The earliest phase of construction probably dates back to the 15th century, and it was followed by additions and alterations made in the 16th and the 17th century. In the years of the Turkish rule it was turned into […]
Archdiocese of Crete
The Church of Crete is an ApostolicEraChurch: the first Christian nucleus was formed here around 64 A.D. by St. Paul, during his 4th missionary journey. Paul assigned to his disciple Titus, who became the first Bishop of Crete, the systematic teaching of Christianity on the island. When Christianity expanded, the Cretan Church was organised with […]
Orthodox Academy of Crete
The Orthodox Academy of Crete (OAC) is a public welfare institution in canonical relationship with the Holy Metropolis of Kissamos and Selinon; it operates under the spiritual auspices of His All Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. The basic mission of the OAC is the dialogical witness and the liturgical diaconia of Orthodoxy in the […]
Admission centre of Religious Tourism
Sorry, this entry is only available in Français and Ελληνικά.
Siva Agia Paraskevi (St. Paraskevi)
This is a small Byzantine church with rare murals. The courtyard of the church still contains the village fountains, which date back to the 14th century.
Panayia Eleoussa (Mother Mary of Merci) – Kitharida
The Byzantine church situated just outside Kitharida may be one of the most interesting churches on Crete, architecturally speaking. It consists of three aisles, a narthex and three domes, one for each aisle. The church served as the catholicon for a monastery destroyed during the revolution of 1866.
Agios Myron (St. Myron)
The impressive church of St. Myron holds a conspicuous position at the west of the village named after it. The church was the seat of an Orthodox Diocese from the Early Byzantine era to the era of Venetian rule. It was initially an Early Christian basilica that was converted in the 11th-12th century into a […]