Holy Apostles at Kato Episkopi
The church of the Holy Apostles on the western boundaries of the small settlement of Kato [Lower] Episkopi, where the seat of the Diocese of Siteia may have been transferred during the second Byzantine period, is a tripartite building with a dome. The central, larger space is covered by an octagonal dome, which rests on […]
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Piskokefalo)
Construction of this single-space arch-covered church was completed in 1862; the belfry is a later addition. This church differs from others in that it features a Π-shaped wooden gallery that can be accessed via a staircase on the building’s exterior.
Agia Ekaterini (St. Catherine) (Siteia)
Even though the church dedicated to Saint Catherine appears to be relatively new—since it was rebuilt in the early 19th century—we can confidently identify its location as the site of the earlier Santa Caterina church of the Augustinians. Its first belfry, on its south-western side, was constructed in 1938. The Bema was expanded with two […]
Saint John the Theologian at Mesa Mouliana
The original three-aisled church, dedicated to St. John, the All-Holy Virgin and the Holy Trinity is the result of three successive interpolations to a single-nave, domed church of the middle Byzantine period. The church was expanded in the period of Venetian occupation with the addition of the south aisle, dedicated today to St. Charalambos. The […]
Agias Triados and Panagias (Holy Trinity & Mother Mary) Church (Sfaka)
This two-aisled church bears the date “2 March 1643”. The ornate wood-carved chancel screens of its two aisles were crafted during 1845 – 1849.
Saint George at Apano Symi
St. George is located at the entrance of the deserted settlement of Apano [Upper] Symi, and a little outside the settlement of Kato [Lower] Symi of Viannos. The architectural plan of the church is the result of the addition of a spacious transept to the original, single-nave church, which is not far in date from […]
Church of Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Mirtos)
Dedicated to Saint Anthony and to the Ascension of Christ, this single-aisled church was likely built in the late 14th century. It was later destroyed and subsequently rebuilt in 1853. Ancient pieces of marble, parts of statues and column bases can be seen in sections of its western wall and in its altar.
Saint George at Meseleroi
The single-nave church of St. George is located at the centre of the settlement of Meseleroi. Its wall painting decoration dates to around 1300 and is partially preserved. The large representation of the Ascension develops on the east section of the barrel-vault, while on the west, are a few representations from the cycle of the […]
Saint Marina at Meseleroi
The single-nave church of St. Marina, whose south side is formed with a large buttress, is located on the east corner of the settlement of Meseleroi. It is dated according to the wall painting decoration, the work of an anonymous but excellent painter, to the first quarter of the 14th century. Its iconographic programme presents […]
All – Holy Virgin the Mesochoritissa [‘of the Middle Land’] at Malles
The single-nave church of the All-Holy Virgin, in the centre of the settlement, was expanded to the west during a second phase. The two construction phases correspond also to the two layers of wall painting decoration that adorn its interior. The older, in the east and central sections, dates to the early 14th century, a […]