Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Ziros)
This is a 16th-century church featuring murals that are rather poorly preserved. It is possible to discern engravings dating back to 1507 and 1515.
Agia Paraskevi (St. Paraskevi) (Ziros)
This is possibly the oldest church in the hamlet of Ziros. It is adorned with murals and dates back to 1523.
Saint George at Voila
The twin-naved church, dedicated to St. George and to St. John is located southeast of the settlement of Chandras and next to the ruined settlement of Voilas which is dominated by the magnificent medieval tower. The architectural type of the church has emerged as a result of the successive interpolations to the original, single-nave church, […]
Metamorfosi tou Christou (Transfiguration of Christ) (Chandras)
A large, single-space church, it dates back to the mid-15th century and quite likely once served as catholicon to a monastery than no longer survives. The church is extensively decorated and its murals survive in relatively good condition. Worthy of note are the depictions of the Twelve Great Feasts and of scenes of the Second […]
Church of Timios Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) (Sitanos)
This is a Byzantine church belonging to the architectural style of free cross with dome—one of only a few of its kind in eastern Crete. Its surviving murals are few but showcase excellent craftsmanship and date back to the 14th century.
Agia Ekaterini and Genessio tis Theotokou (St. Catherine & Nativity of Mary) (Armenoi)
The church of Saint Catherine is located in the abandoned village of Etia, close to the impressive Venetian mansion Dei Mezzo. It is a two-aisled church dedicated to Saint Catherine and the Virgin Mary. The original aisle was adorned with murals. The church’s architecture and sophisticated decorative elements betray Renaissance influence, and its relief-decorated belfry […]
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) (Armenoi)
The originally arch-covered church was later expanded with the addition of a narthex. The remarkable icons in its chancel screen date back to the 18th and 19th century.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Armenoi)
A single-space arch-covered church, Saint George was subsequently expanded with a narthex. The church was likely built during the late Byzantine era. Its murals date back to the 14th and 15th centuries and depict scenes from the Christological cycle.
Church of Panagia Eleousa (Our Lady of Mercy) and Agios Haralampos (St. Charalampus) (Papayiannades)
This is actually a complex comprising two churches that have been joined into one. The church of the Virgin Mary was built first, and was later joined to the church of Saint Charalampus, to its south, with a transverse arch. Notable murals, dating back to 1363, still survive in the church of the Virgin Mary.
Church of Genessio tis Theotokou (Nativity of Mary), Timios Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) and Agios Georgios (St. George) (Epano Episkopi)
A large, three-aisled dome-roofed basilica, this church was likely built on the site of an Early Christian basilica. The nave is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary, and the aisles are dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and Saint George.