Agios Georgios Gorgolainis (St. George the Swift) Monastery
The Holy Monastery of Saint George Gorgolainis, one of the most historic monasteries on Crete, was founded by Archpriest Sylvester in the 13th century, while the single-space arch-covered church dedicated to Saint George was erected in 1627. During the 20th century, an aisle was added to the catholicon, which is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. Also worthy of note is the Venetian fountain which was decorated with a marble lion until 1990, when it was stolen.
During the era of Ottoman rule, the monastery was set on fire and it was renovated in 1957 by Archbishop Eugenios. The cypress tree and plane tree located at the Monastery have been declared landmark natural monuments.