Place search

This monastery was established in the late Byzantine period and only the small two-aisled church with a narthex has been preserved. Several documents from the 1635-1650 period refer to the monastery, which was probably at its prime then. During the 1821 Liberation Revolution, the Ottomans destroyed the monastery, slaughtered the monks and set fire to the building. In 1836, on the initiative of the Bishop of Lambi, Nikodemos Soubasakis, the School of the Holy Spirit (Scholi tou Agiou Pnevmatos) was built here, one of the most important spiritual centres of Crete during the 19th century.