Archangelos Michail (Archangel Michael) (Aradena)
At the edge of the Aradena Gorge, in Sfakia, lies a deserted hamlet of the same name, where the church of Archangel Michael or Astratigos – as Sfakia residents call him – stands. It is a cruciform church with a six-sided cupola with several features of the School of mainland Greece (Helladic), built on the […]
Osia Maria Egyptia (Holy Maria from Egypt) Church (Samaria)
Half way down into the Samaria Gorge lies the deserted village of the same name. Here stands the Byzantine Church of Osia Maria from Egypt, which gave the gorge its name (osiamaria=samaria). This is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church with 14th century murals.
Early Christian Basilica (Agia Roumeli)
The ruins of a three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof and a narthex, built on the ruins of an older church. Within the sanctum there is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church with 15th century murals, now well-preserved. As in most early Christian basilicas, there is a mosaic floor dating from the 6th century with geometric shapes […]
Agioi Apostoloi (Holy Apostles) (Chora Sfakion)
A 15th century Byzantine church, which was for many years the most impressive church of the Chora of Sfakia; it used to be visible from every point of the town, as it is built on a hill. The bell tower was added later, in 1900.
Agios Panteleimon (St. Pantaleon) (Chora Sfakion)
This is the two-aisled cathedral of the Chora of Sfakia. It is dedicated to St. Panteleimon and St. Nicholas. The first aisle dates to the 17th or 18th century, while the second one, according to the inscription above the gate, was erected in 1817.
Sotiros & Koimisis tis Theotokou (Redeemer & Dormotion of Mother Mary) Church (Chora Sfakion)
A two-aisled church, the first aisle of which is dedicated to Christ the Redeemer (Soter) and was built in the 16th or 17th century. The second aisle, which is dedicated to the Dormition (Koimisis tis Theotokou) was added to the south side in the beginning of the 19th century.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Komitades)
A small Byzantine church with murals painted in 1314 by icon painter, Ioannis Pagomenos. There is a special mural depicting the donors of the church, while emphasis is given to the life of St. George.
Early Christian Basilica (Frangokastelo)
The ruins of a two-aisled, 6th century basilica with a narthex, dedicated to St. Charalampus and St. John the Divine (Theologos). On the site of the sanctum of this early Christian basilica, a church dedicated to Archangel Michael – whom the Sfakia residents call Astratigos, a corruption of the name Archistratigos, i.e. Commander- in- chief […]
Agios Nikitas (St. Nicetas) (Frangokastelo)
Northeast of Frangokastelo stands the 13th church of St. Niketas, built on the ruins of an early Christian Basilica. St. Niketas is a one-aisled church and was built with architectural members of the old basilica, including two marble pillars. The floor mosaic is also that of the old basilica.