From Avdou to Lassithi Plateau and Mallia SEE ALL AVAILABLE ROUTES
Starting in Chersonissos, the historical seat of the Diocese of Cherronisos, we will visit the Early Christian monuments in the area, the Early Christian church of Agios Nikolaos, the Early Christian church of Kastri, the Early Christian church of Piskopianos, Agios Georgios and the church of Agios Ioannis in Upper Chersonissos.
Following the road leading south to the valley of Aposelemis river, we will visit Gouverniotissa Monastery near the village of Potamies.
The traditional farming village of Avdou is home to several Byzantine monuments, such as the churches of Evangelistria, Agios Antonios, Agios Georgios and Agia Fotini.
North of Avdou, on the small plateau of Mochos, we will visit the church of Evangelistria and then head up to the Plateau of Lassithi, beneath the peak named Karfi, where the Late Minoan settlement of the same name is located and where we will visit the historic Panagia Kardiotissa (Kera) Convent.
On the renowned plateau of Lassithi, we will visit Kroustalenia Monastery and Vidiani Monastery, while at the small plateau of Limnakaros, we will visit the church of Agio Pnevma.
On the way back to Chersonissos, we will pass through the picturesque village of Krassi and through Mallia, where we will visit the church of Galatiani.
All – Holy Virgin the Galatiani at Malia
Τhe three-aisled church of the All-Holy Virgin in the old centre of the settlement of Malia is the result of successive interpolations to an original single-nave church, the present nave. During the late Venetian period, the church was expanded with the addition of the north and south aisles. The original church has good quality wall […]
Holy Spirit – Christ the Saviour at Limnakaro
Τhe twin-naved church, dedicated to the Transfiguration and the Holy Spirit, is located in the small plateau of Limnakaro close to the plateau of Lasithi at an elevation of 1130 metres. It is the only church of the Lasithi plateau with mural paintings of the Venetian period, a fact that is contrary to the sources […]
Evangelistria (Our Lady of Evangelisation) (Mochos)
This is a two-aisled arch-covered church dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and to Saint Paraskevi. It was built in 1835 on the ruins of an older church. It stands out for its magnificent wood-carved chancel screen and its 15th and 16th century icons.
Agia Fotini (St. Photine) Avdou
The cave of Agia Fotini is located outside the village of Avdou. The entrance features a screen and a narrow corridor leads to the cave hall where the church of Agia Fotini is located. This cave served as a hideout for residents of the region during the Cretan Revolutions.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Avdou)
This is a single-space arch-covered church on the outskirts of Avdou, featuring 14th-15th century frescoes.
Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Avdou)
This is a 14th century single-space arch-covered church. Its sky-blue and red murals are unique on Crete, depicting greatly expressive Saints and scenes from the gospel.
Panagia i Evangelistria (Our Lady of Evangelisation) (Avdou)
The church of Evangelistria in Avdou was erected in the 14th century in the style of free cross with dome. It is one of the oldest mural-adorned churches in the village, with a more recent stone belfry with relief décor, built in 1912.
The Early Christian Basilicas of Kastri at Chersonesos
In the modern settlement of Limenas at Chersonesos, which has been built atop the ancient city of Cherronesos, three basilicas have been discovered, indicative of the great prosperity of the settlement also during the early Byzantine period when it was the seat of the homonymous ancient diocese. The most important of these, the basilica B, […]
The Early Christian Basilicas of Agios Nikolaos at Chersonesos
In the modern settlement of Limenas at Chersonesos, which has been built atop the ancient city of Cherronesos, three basilicas have been discovered, indicative of the great prosperity of the settlement also during the early Byzantine period when it was the seat of the homonymous ancient diocese. Basilica A of St. Nicholas, as it was […]
Holy Monastery of Vidiani
The monastery of Vidiani is located in the northwest side of the Plateau of Lasithi. It was founded around the middle of the 19th century by the hieromonk, Methodios Perakis, who was its first abbot, in the area of the settlement of Vides, a large family from Lasithi whose name it took. The simple, mainly […]
Holy Monastery of Kroustallenia
The foundation of the monastery of Kroustallenia on the eastern side of the Plateau of Lasithi dates to the late Venetian period even though its early history remains unknown. During the Ottoman period it was an important religious and devotional centre of the area while it maintained a primary school until the first decades of […]
Holy Monastery of Kera – Kardiotissa
The foundation and the history of the monastery, the first mention of which dates to 1333 is inextricably linked to the wonderworking icon of the All-Holy Virgin the Kardiotissa [the type of icon where the Virgin holds Christ in her arms above her heart], which according to tradition was painted by St. Lazaros, a monk […]
Holy Monastery of Gouverniotissa at Potamies
The All-Holy Virgin Gouverniotissa [the ‘Mistress/Governor’], located a little before the settlement of Potamies, was founded in the early Venetian period and belonged to the feud of Laurentius Malipetri during the 14th century. Sections of the cells, mainly of the 19th century, from the presently dissolved monastery are preserved, as well as the catholicon of […]