Agiou Georgiou (St. George) Monastery
A short while before arriving at Vryses, within a lush landscape of olive groves, there is the Monastery of St. George of Karydi; According to documents of 1600, it was named after a small hamlet called Karydi which used to stand here (walnut). During the Ottoman occupation it was conceded as a dependency to the Monastery of the Holy Trinity of Zagaroloi (Agia Triada ton Tzagarolon). It flourished in the mid 19th century and acquired a lot of wealth mainly through donations. The catholicon (monastery church) dates back to that period, between 1850 and1880. Within the monastic complex there is an impressive olive oil press with 12 arches that used to support its roof. Today the building has been restored and operates as an independent monastery.