Holy Monastery of the All – Holy Virgin Vryomeni [‘The Abundant’] at Meseleroi
Even though the exact date of the foundation of the monastery is unknown, its function is witnessed already from the 16th century while the catholicon of the early 15th century shows the use of the space from the late Byzantine period. The monastery is built on a rocky outcrop, east of the settlement of Meseleroi, while the single-nave catholicon is located in the west section of its exterior area. The extant one-storey buildings of the monastery develop around it after a phase of rebuilding in the late 20th century. The wall painting decoration, which was completed in 1401/2 by the monk Myron Kalodrosios, was partially destroyed during the later expansion to the west. The wall painting decoration is an excellent specimen of Palaeologan art; it includes scenes from the Christological cycle, with particular emphasis on the cycle of the Passions, as well as the Birth and the Entrance into the Temple from the Marian cycle. In the exterior of particular interest is the relief decoration of the base of the single-light belfry with vegetal decoration and three masks, features of Renaissance art at the end of the 16th century, a period during which the west section of the church was added.