Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Maza)
This 13th century church has one aisle and an arched roof and under its floor is buried Ioannis Pagomenos, the acclaimed Cretan painter who has painted the murals of this church and of many others in the same area. The interior decoration of the church has been preserved in relatively good condition, with numerous icons […]
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Church of the Dormition) (Alicambos)
The Byzantine church of the Dormition (Koimisis tis theotokou) has one aisle, an arched roof and murals dating 1315, painted by the acclaimed icon painter Ioannis Pagomenos. The church decoration is well-preserved and what stands out is the depiction of the enthroned Mother Mary and scenes from the Gospels.
Panagia ton Dyo Vrachon (Mother Mary of the two rocks) (Fres)
This church which is built on two rocks has one aisle, an arched roof and interesting murals dating to the 13th century, painted using a particular style. Among them stand out the depiction of Abraham’s Hospitality (Philoxenia tou Avraam) and of Panagia Platytera (Our Lady of the Sign).
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Fres)
The church has only one aisle and an arched roof. It dates back to the 14th century and its murals present standing saints and scenes from the Gospel cycle.
Aghios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Kyriakoselia)
The church of St. Nicholas is at the foot of the hill where the early Byzantine Castle controlling the Souda Bay stands. The church was built in the 11th century and initially was a one-isle church with an arched roof and probably a cupola. Then, in the 13th century, after various modifications, the church became […]
Panagia Zerviotissa (Mother Mary of the Left Hand) (Stylos)
Just outside Stylos, within its citrus orchards, stands the 12th century church of Panagia Zerviotissa, also known as ‘Monastira’. This is a cruciform church with an eight-sided cupola and its floor plan echoes of a three-aisled basilica. Although hardly anything of the mural decorations have survived, the church is truly impressive.
Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Stylos)
This 12th century two-aisled church is dedicated to St. John the Divine (Theologos) and St. Nicholas. Initially there was only one aisle, and an arched roof, but later a second aisle was added. There are murals dating back to the 13th century, and the one that stands out is the depiction of St. John the […]
The church of Agios Georgios (St. George) & Agios Haralampos (St. Charalampus) (Therissos)
This is a two aisled Byzantine church with an arched roof, dedicated to St. George and St. Charalampus. Its wall decorations are not very well preserved.
Agia Irini (St. Irene) (Kavoussi)
The single-space, Byzantine church dedicated to Saint Irene dates back to 1410 and is a modest arch-covered church adorned with murals.
The Church of Agioi Apostoloi at Kavousi
The single-nave church of the Holy Apostles, 100 metres to the south of St. George, also has two layers of wall paintings of the 14th and 15th centuries respectively. From the first layer very few forms can be discerned, such as the full-length figure of the woman donor on the north wall who has the […]