From Agios Myronas to Agia Irene Kroussona and Paliani Monastery SEE ALL AVAILABLE ROUTES
Starting in Heraklion, we follow the road that traverses the hilly region full of vineyards to the village of Agios Myronas, where we will worship at Spileon Askisseos tou Agiou Myronos (Cave of Agios Myronas’ Ascesis), and after worshipping at the Church of Panagia Chryssopigis, we head on to the mountainous area of Assites village to visit the museum of Agios Georgios Gorgolainis Monastery.
We will visit Agia Irene Monastery in the mountain town of Kroussonas and admire the Byzantine church of Panagia Eleoussa.
We continue eastwards towards the Venerato region, where we will visit the Convent of the Dormition of Mother Mary of Paliani, and on our return to Heraklion, we will pass through Siva, where the church of Agios Georgios is located.
Agios Myron (St. Myron)
The impressive church of St. Myron holds a conspicuous position at the west of the village named after it. The church was the seat of an Orthodox Diocese from the Early Byzantine era to the era of Venetian rule. It was initially an Early Christian basilica that was converted in the 11th-12th century into a […]
Agia Irini Kroussona (St. Irene of Kroussonas) Monastery
The monastery, located south of Kroussonas, on the foothills of Psiloritis, was one of the richest monasteries during the first years of the era of Ottoman rule. It is cited in 16th century texts. In 1822, the monks were put to death, the monastery was destroyed and its property was given to Kera Monastery. The […]
Agios Georgios Gorgolainis (St. George the Swift) Monastery
The Holy Monastery of Saint George Gorgolainis, one of the most historic monasteries on Crete, was founded by Archpriest Sylvester in the 13th century, while the single-space arch-covered church dedicated to Saint George was erected in 1627. During the 20th century, an aisle was added to the catholicon, which is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. Also […]
This is one of the oldest convents on Crete, situated south of Venerato village and built on top of the ruins of an ancient temple, as confirmed by the capitals located in the courtyard of the convent. The convent is dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary and has been in operation since the first […]