Agios Georgios (St. George) (Artos)
A single-space arch-covered church to which a narthex was added in 1902. According to a carved inscription, it was renovated in 1401. The murals, which were revealed in 1970, depict the Evangelical cycle. The mural of the Second Coming stands out.
Agios Ioannis (St. John) (Anogia)
A two-aisled arch-covered church, with its south aisle dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and the north to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The murals date back to the 14th century but survive in poor condition. The mural of Panagia Glykofiloussa (Virgin Mary of Sweet Kisses), also known as ‘Paramythia’, is impressive and rare, […]
Agia Irini (St. Irene) (Axos)
The church of Saint Irene is a 14th century single-space arch-covered cruciform church that later acquired a dome. Few of its murals survive.
Tesseris Martyres (Four Martyrs) (Rethymno)
This church is dedicated to the local New Martyrs Aggelis, Manouil, Georgios and Nikolaos, who were martyred in 1824 and recognised by local society as protectors of the city. Two other churches pre-existed at the site of the present-day church, but were demolished. The present-day church was constructed in 1975 in the three-aisled arch-covered style, […]
Agios Pavlos (St. Paul) Monastery
The Monastery is located south-west of Rethymno in the Gallos area. It was founded in 1566 and served as a glebe of Arkadi Monastery. Most of the Monastery structures date back to the 15th and 16th century. Its catholicon, a single-space arch-covered church, is dedicated to Saint Paul. During the revolution of 1866, the monastery […]
Archangelos Michail (Archangel Michael) (Aradena)
At the edge of the Aradena Gorge, in Sfakia, lies a deserted hamlet of the same name, where the church of Archangel Michael or Astratigos – as Sfakia residents call him – stands. It is a cruciform church with a six-sided cupola with several features of the School of mainland Greece (Helladic), built on the […]
Osia Maria Egyptia (Holy Maria from Egypt) Church (Samaria)
Half way down into the Samaria Gorge lies the deserted village of the same name. Here stands the Byzantine Church of Osia Maria from Egypt, which gave the gorge its name (osiamaria=samaria). This is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church with 14th century murals.
Early Christian Basilica (Agia Roumeli)
The ruins of a three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof and a narthex, built on the ruins of an older church. Within the sanctum there is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church with 15th century murals, now well-preserved. As in most early Christian basilicas, there is a mosaic floor dating from the 6th century with geometric shapes […]
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Fourfouras)
St. George stands at the Mourtzes or Mourtza location, southeast of the village. It is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church, built on the ruins of an older church, and it dates from the 15th century. The murals are preserved in good condition and originated in the first half of the 15th century.
Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Vizari)
A small Byzantine church built on the top of a hill above Vizari; it is one-aisled and arch-roofed with numerous murals preserved in quite good condition.