Agiou Ioanni (St. John) Monastery (Aptera)
At a central spot in the ancient city of Aptera, which was erected and flourished in the 3rd and 4th centuries B.C., there is the Monastery of St. John the Divine (Theologos), a dependency of the Monastery of St. John on the island of Patmos. There is a reference to dependence as early as 1181 A.D.; therefore, it had been built before that date and stopped being active in 1964. The walls of the ancient city still stand around the monastery. Recently, the building was fully restored.