Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Argyropoulis)
A church within a cave at Chostos, on the banks of Mousselas river. It contains some of the few surviving murals dating back to the 14th century.
Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Argyropoulis)
The church of Saint Kyriake is located on the banks of the Mousellas river and was built on the site of a Roman bathhouse. It is a single-space arch-covered church with 11th and 13th century murals, most of which have been destroyed. The depiction of the Supplication on the apse of altar is impressive.
Panagia Barotsani (Virgin Mary of Barotsiana) (Argyropoulis)
A 13th century single-space shingled church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, situated in the ‘Barotsiana’ district. The Barotsides were nobles during the Venetian era and the broader region of Argyropoulis was their fief. The décor of the church, also known as ‘Panagia tou Barotsi’, is of the late gothic style. A smaller church dedicated to […]
Pente Parthenes (Holy Five Virgins) Church (Argyropoulis)
The tombs of the Holy Five Virgins, who were martyred in 205 AD, are located in a cave northwest of Argyropoulis. A single-space arch-covered church dedicated to the Five Virgins was built on top of these tombs.
Panagia (Mother Mary) Church (Roustika)
A two-aisled Byzantine church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to Christ the Redeemer. It was erected in 1381 and the murals of the older aisle, which date back to the 1391, depict scenes from the Betrayal, hell and Saints. The belfry dates back to 1627.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Artos)
A single-space arch-covered church to which a narthex was added in 1902. According to a carved inscription, it was renovated in 1401. The murals, which were revealed in 1970, depict the Evangelical cycle. The mural of the Second Coming stands out.
Church of Agios Konstantinos & Agia Eleni (St. Constantine & St. Helen) (Agios Konstantinos)
A two-aisled basilica built in 1315 and dedicated to Saint Constantine and Saint Helen, featuring Byzantine icons dating back to 1730-1770. The stone belfry dates back to 1863.
Agios Ioannis (St. John) (Anogia)
A two-aisled arch-covered church, with its south aisle dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and the north to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The murals date back to the 14th century but survive in poor condition. The mural of Panagia Glykofiloussa (Virgin Mary of Sweet Kisses), also known as ‘Paramythia’, is impressive and rare, […]
Michail Archangelos (Archangel Michael) (Axos)
A Byzantine two-aisled church located at the centre of the village. One of its aisles is bigger than the other and dates back to the 15th century. A medieval fountain has survived outside the church.