Agioi Asomatoi (The Gathering of the Angels) (Vafes)
This is a small, one-aisled, arch-roofed church northeast of Vafes hamlet. During the excavation and restoration works it was found that it is built on the ruins of an older church, which seems to have been active as early as the 6th century. This older church was destroyed in the 12th century and replaced by […]
Agios Georgios & Christos (St. George & Christ) (Kournas)
The Church of St. George was built at the end of the 12th century, initially as a three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof, a narthex and adobe brick arches. In 1230 Christ’s roof-covered aisle was added. In the 19th century, the interior of the main church was unified and the narthex demolished, while a bell-tower […]
Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Maza)
This 13th century church has one aisle and an arched roof and under its floor is buried Ioannis Pagomenos, the acclaimed Cretan painter who has painted the murals of this church and of many others in the same area. The interior decoration of the church has been preserved in relatively good condition, with numerous icons […]
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Church of the Dormition) (Alicambos)
The Byzantine church of the Dormition (Koimisis tis theotokou) has one aisle, an arched roof and murals dating 1315, painted by the acclaimed icon painter Ioannis Pagomenos. The church decoration is well-preserved and what stands out is the depiction of the enthroned Mother Mary and scenes from the Gospels.
Panagia ton Dyo Vrachon (Mother Mary of the two rocks) (Fres)
This church which is built on two rocks has one aisle, an arched roof and interesting murals dating to the 13th century, painted using a particular style. Among them stand out the depiction of Abraham’s Hospitality (Philoxenia tou Avraam) and of Panagia Platytera (Our Lady of the Sign).
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Fres)
The church has only one aisle and an arched roof. It dates back to the 14th century and its murals present standing saints and scenes from the Gospel cycle.
Early Christian Basilica (Almyrida)
Just outside Almyrida there is a three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof, dating back to the second half of the 6th century. Its floor plan forms the letter T and its central aisle is covered by a mosaic floor, where a variety of motifs such as crosses, fish and intersecting circles can be viewed.
Panagia Kera (Our Lady) (Kalyves)
Panagia Kera is a 19th century church built on the site of an older monastery. It is very close to Kera Beach. According to a local legend, when pirates attempted to invade the area, the residents prayed to Our Lady who performed a miracle and turned their ship into stone.
Aghios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) (Kyriakoselia)
The church of St. Nicholas is at the foot of the hill where the early Byzantine Castle controlling the Souda Bay stands. The church was built in the 11th century and initially was a one-isle church with an arched roof and probably a cupola. Then, in the 13th century, after various modifications, the church became […]
Panagia Zerviotissa (Mother Mary of the Left Hand) (Stylos)
Just outside Stylos, within its citrus orchards, stands the 12th century church of Panagia Zerviotissa, also known as ‘Monastira’. This is a cruciform church with an eight-sided cupola and its floor plan echoes of a three-aisled basilica. Although hardly anything of the mural decorations have survived, the church is truly impressive.