1

Church of Agii Anargyri

A small three-aisled church, dedicated to the Early Christian martyrs and Saints Cosmas and Damian, as well as to Saint Artemios and Saint Charalampos. It is located in the Agii Anargyri quarter. It is not known when the church was built, however it is believed that it dates back to the Venetian period (13th century). […]

MORE
2

Saint Nicholas’ Church (Splantzia Square)

The church of Saint Nicholas was built in the Venetian years (circa 1320) as the main church of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. During the Turkish rule it was transformed into a mosque, and an impressive minaret with two balconies was erected. In 1928 it became an Orthodox church. It is located east of […]

MORE
3

Saint Francis’ Church (Archaeological Museum of Chania)

The building which nowadays houses the Archaeological Museum of Chania, in Halidon Street, once belonged to the Monastery of Saint Francis of the Franciscan Order. It has undergone multiple modifications, given that several phases of construction are visible, including extensions, and changes in the use of the building. In the period of the Turkish occupation […]

MORE
4

Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary

The nave of the Cathedral is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin to the Temple, while the two aisles are dedicated to Saint Nicholas and the Three Holy Hierarchs. An earlier church of the Venetian period existed on the same site, which was transformed into a soap factory during the Turkish rule. The building […]

MORE
5

Franciscan Church of San Salvatore

The church of San Salvatore is part of the San Salvatore Monastery of the Franciscan Order. The earliest phase of construction probably dates back to the 15th century, and it was followed by additions and alterations made in the 16th and the 17th century. In the years of the Turkish rule it was turned into […]

MORE
6

Aghiou Petrou & Pavlou (St. Peter & St. Paul) Church

The church was built during the early era of Venetian rule next to the sea wall of the city and served as the Catholicon of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. In its initial form, it was a single-aised wooden-roofed church and four chapels were gradually added to it. Its architecture is particularly interesting, as […]

MORE
7
Ιερά Μητρόπολη Κυδωνίας και Αποκορώνου

Holy Metropolis of Kydonia and Apokoronos

The Metropolis comprises the provinces of Kydonia and Apokoronos, in the Prefecture of Chania and its See is in Chania. Kydonia was one of the oldest and most important cities on Crete. Its diocese, like most on the island, was funded by St. Titus. It was founded even before 381 AD, since Bishop Kydoios attended […]

MORE
8

The Holy Metropolis of Kissamos and Selino

The Metropolis includes the provinces of the same name in the Prefecture of Chania and its See is in Kissamos, which was already an Archdiocese as early as early Christian times. The age of the Archdiocese is known due to the attendance of Bishop Eukissos at the Synod (Council) of Sardica in 343. At Rethymnon […]

MORE
9

Michael the Archangel at Lakonia

The single-nave, externally simple, church of Michael the Archangel, in the south ­outskirts of the settlement of Lakonia, has in its interior one of the best preserved wall painting compositions of the 15th century in Crete, painted in 1431/32. The ­iconographic programme in the main church includes only five scenes from the Gospel cycle as […]

MORE
10

Holy Monastery of Koufi Petra

The female monastery of Koufi Petra (Hollow Stone) is built to the west and at a close distance from the monastery of Kremasta, also on the slopes of Mount Kavallara. The only mention of the monastery in the sources is the indirect reference in a contract of the monastery of Areti, in the year 1630, […]

MORE