Saint George of F(a)landra
Τhe monastery of St. George of F(a)landra is located on a hill of Festos, just 100 km to the southwest of the entrance to the archaeological area. Its exact date of foundation is unknown even though its surviving catholicon is dated to the late Venetian period. The existence of the monastery of St. George “of […]
All – Holy Virgin Gorgoepikoos at Pigaidakia
The church which is dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos is located in the periphery of the settlement of Gialomonochoro, abandoned many decades ago. Until the beginning of the 20th century it constituted part of the complex of the homonymous dependency of the Monastery of Apezana, the buildings of which have today been destroyed. […]
Saints Apostles at Ano Moulia
The church, dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul, is located in the south part of the settlement of Ano Moulia. It is a rare plan of a cross-vaulted church in which the cross arms of the transept end in conches while the prothesis and the diaconicon are formed with smaller conches the same thickness […]
Evangelistria (Our Lady of Evangelisation) (Mochos)
This is a two-aisled arch-covered church dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and to Saint Paraskevi. It was built in 1835 on the ruins of an older church. It stands out for its magnificent wood-carved chancel screen and its 15th and 16th century icons.
Saint Constantine at Avdou
Τhe barrel-vaulted, single-nave church of St. Constantine is located a kilometre to the west of the settlement of Avdou. It is a simple building with a high, pointed doorframe as entrance on its west side. The church has wall painting decoration in the interior which was completed in 1445 by the brothers, Manuel and John […]
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Avdou)
This is a single-space arch-covered church on the outskirts of Avdou, featuring 14th-15th century frescoes.
Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Avdou)
This is a 14th century single-space arch-covered church. Its sky-blue and red murals are unique on Crete, depicting greatly expressive Saints and scenes from the gospel.
Afentis Christos (Christ our Lord) (Potamies)
This is a 15th century single-space arch-covered church situated near Gouverniotissa Monastery. The surviving murals are few in number but very impressive.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Prina)
This is a single-space arch-covered church with murals dating back to the first centuries of the era of Venetian rule.
Kato Ai Giorgis (Lower St. George) (Kroutas)
This is a single-space arch-covered church featuring Venetian stone sculptures and 13th century murals.