Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) Church (Platania)
A one-aisled, arch-roofed church, with a semi-cylindrical arch with its origins in the 14th century, built on the ruins of an older church; all its walls are fully covered in murals. The murals date to the 13th and 14th centuries and the most impressive one is the enthroned Mother Mary on the west side and […]
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) Church (Meron)
The Dormition church is a three-aisled basilica built oveer three periods. The initial construct dates to the 14th century, judging from the decoration, and the extension dates back to the 16th century. The three aisles are dedicated to St. George, St. Paul & St.Peter and Mother Mary. Besides the beautiful murals in the central and […]
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) Church (Thronos)
This is a one-aisle, tile-roofed church of the 14th century, built on the ruins of an older Metropolitan church. The coats of arms of the Kallergis’ family are also found in this church, which means that it probably belonged to them. The murals dating from the 13th and 14th centuries include an impressive enthroned Madonna […]
Theotokou (Mother Mary) Church (Patsos)
The church dedicated to the Nativity of Mother Mary is an ordinary four-pillar in the square church with a cupola. Although it is in ruins, its walls are still standing. It was built in two phases. The first one dates back to the 11th or 12th century and its extensive reconstruction to the 14th century. […]
Panagias Thymianis (Mother Mary of the thyme) Monastery (Komitades)
According to tradition the name of the monastery comes from an icon of Mother Mary found under a thyme bush and has been a sacred site for the residents of Sfakia. The catholicon (main church) of the monastery is a two-aisled church dedicated to the Nativity of Mother Mary (Gennisis tis Theotokou) and the Holy […]
Panagias (Mother Mary) Monastery (Fourfouras)
At the Leivada location, southeast of Fourfouras, there are ruins of the Monastery of Mother Mary (Moni Panagias), which is also known as Panagia sti Leivada (Mother Mary on the Meadow). The only thing preserved from the monastery is a small, arch-roofed, one-aisle church, within which some murals dating back to 1400 have been preserved. […]
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Church of the Dormition) (Alicambos)
The Byzantine church of the Dormition (Koimisis tis theotokou) has one aisle, an arched roof and murals dating 1315, painted by the acclaimed icon painter Ioannis Pagomenos. The church decoration is well-preserved and what stands out is the depiction of the enthroned Mother Mary and scenes from the Gospels.
Panagia ton Dyo Vrachon (Mother Mary of the two rocks) (Fres)
This church which is built on two rocks has one aisle, an arched roof and interesting murals dating to the 13th century, painted using a particular style. Among them stand out the depiction of Abraham’s Hospitality (Philoxenia tou Avraam) and of Panagia Platytera (Our Lady of the Sign).
Panagia Kera (Our Lady) (Kalyves)
Panagia Kera is a 19th century church built on the site of an older monastery. It is very close to Kera Beach. According to a local legend, when pirates attempted to invade the area, the residents prayed to Our Lady who performed a miracle and turned their ship into stone.
Panagia Zerviotissa (Mother Mary of the Left Hand) (Stylos)
Just outside Stylos, within its citrus orchards, stands the 12th century church of Panagia Zerviotissa, also known as ‘Monastira’. This is a cruciform church with an eight-sided cupola and its floor plan echoes of a three-aisled basilica. Although hardly anything of the mural decorations have survived, the church is truly impressive.