All – Holy Virgin Gorgoepikoos at Pigaidakia
The church which is dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos is located in the periphery of the settlement of Gialomonochoro, abandoned many decades ago. Until the beginning of the 20th century it constituted part of the complex of the homonymous dependency of the Monastery of Apezana, the buildings of which have today been destroyed. […]
All – Holy Virgin Almyri
The church of the All-Holy Virgin Almyri [‘Salty’] is located on the eastern side of the homonymous gorge and at a distance of about one kilometre from the settlement of Vourvoulites. It is a twin-naved church in the centre of a courtyard surrounded by recently built guest houses which are used by the many pilgrims […]
Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary
The church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary (Evangelistria) is the largest in the city of Chania. Its building began in 1908 and was completed thanks to a fundraiser which was conducted in Orthodox communities abroad. It is a cruciform church with a dome, and it was inaugurated in 1923.
Church of Agii Anargyri
A small three-aisled church, dedicated to the Early Christian martyrs and Saints Cosmas and Damian, as well as to Saint Artemios and Saint Charalampos. It is located in the Agii Anargyri quarter. It is not known when the church was built, however it is believed that it dates back to the Venetian period (13th century). […]
Catholic Cathedral and Parish Church of the Dormition of Our Lady
A three-aisled, neoclassical style church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was inaugurated in April 1879. It has operated continuously since then, as the Cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Crete. It is located in Halidon Street.
Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary
The nave of the Cathedral is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin to the Temple, while the two aisles are dedicated to Saint Nicholas and the Three Holy Hierarchs. An earlier church of the Venetian period existed on the same site, which was transformed into a soap factory during the Turkish rule. The building […]
Panayia Eleoussa (Mother Mary of Merci) – Kitharida
The Byzantine church situated just outside Kitharida may be one of the most interesting churches on Crete, architecturally speaking. It consists of three aisles, a narthex and three domes, one for each aisle. The church served as the catholicon for a monastery destroyed during the revolution of 1866.
Agios Minas (St. Menas) (Episkopi)
St. Menas is the patron saint of the Diocese of Heraklion. It is a two-aisled church erected in 1882, with its northern aisle dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary and its southern aisle to St. Menas. One of the most noteworthy elements of the church is its marble chancel screen.
Panagia ton Stavroforon (Mother Mary of the Crusaders)
The Mother Mary of the Crusaders is part of a Latin monastery of the Crusaders (Crosecchieri), the remaining structures of which no longer survive. It is a three-aisled basilica with an elevated nave. It was destroyed by German bombs during the Battle of Crete in 1941 and was restored in 1956.
Old Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
This is the ‘small’ church of St. Menas and the Pantanassa (Most Holy Queen of All), with its intricate, gilded, wood-carved chancel screen and its valuable 18th century icons painted by renowned Cretan hagiographers. The church is linked to a bloody incident in the city’s history, as it was the site where, in June 1821, […]