Agios Georgios (St. George) Kavoussiotis (Kritsa)
This is a small single-space arch-covered church with 13th and 14th century murals depicting prophets and full-size-bodied Saints, the most impressive being the exceptionally vibrant Saint George on a horse.
Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Limnes)
The single-space arch-covered church of Agios Ioannis dates back to 1310. Of its surviving murals, the majority cover the story of the Crucifixion and the Ascension.
Saint Onoufrios at Voulismeni
The single-nave church of St. Onoufrios is located to the north of the village of Voulismeni on a plateau at the top of a small hill. It may have been the catholicon of a monastery –abandoned today already from the beginning of the 20th century– without any known reference to it in the sources. The […]
Saint Anna at Fourni
The barrel-vaulted church of St. Anna is dated to the late 14th– early 15th centuries on the basis of the stylistic features of the wall painting decoration which is preserved in its north and east sides. The church internally is shaped plastically with a series of shallow arches, while it also bears a plastic formation […]
Agia Varvara (St. Barbara) (Syrmesso)
The single-space arch-covered church of Agia Varvara was the catholicon of a Monastery during the era of Venetian rule, with the monastery structures being visible around the church. The depiction of Saint Barbara on the drum of the semi-circular relief arch is particularly impressive.
Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Syrmesso)
The church was the catholicon of a 16th century monastery of the same name. It is a single-space arch-covered church with a semi-circular relief arch at the southern entrance. Its western side is linked to the main church with an arched narthex, while around the catholicon one can see the ruins of the Monastery that […]
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Skinias)
This is a 16th century arch-covered single-space church, with impressive blind arches and an ogival apse. Its murals date back to the 14th century and survive in relatively good condition.
All – Holy Virgin the Vrefokratousa at Agios Nikolaos
The particularly elongated church of the All-Holy Virgin in the old centre of the city of Agios Nikolaos is the result of two successive expansions to the west of the original barrel-vaulted, single-nave church. The original church and the first expansion have two layers of mural paintings of which the oldest, dating to the first […]
Holy Monastery of Kremasta
The monastery of Kremasta is located at a distance of around 2,5 kilometres from Neapolis on the slopes of Mount Kavallara on the route towards the Plateau of Lasithi. According to the dedicatory inscription on the lintel of the catholicon, it was founded in 1593 by Metrophanes Agapetos. From around the middle of the 19th […]
The Church of Panagia at Kapetaniana
The small livestock farmers settlement of Kapetaniana is located on the eastern part of the sierra of Asterousia, in an area where monasticism thrived in the period of the early Venetian occupation, as is evinced from the large number of churches and hermitages that survive until this day. Inside the settlement is the church of […]