Agios Georgios (St. George) (Armenoi)
A single-space arch-covered church, Saint George was subsequently expanded with a narthex. The church was likely built during the late Byzantine era. Its murals date back to the 14th and 15th centuries and depict scenes from the Christological cycle.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Piskokefalo)
Construction of this single-space arch-covered church was completed in 1862; the belfry is a later addition. This church differs from others in that it features a Π-shaped wooden gallery that can be accessed via a staircase on the building’s exterior.
Saint George at Apano Symi
St. George is located at the entrance of the deserted settlement of Apano [Upper] Symi, and a little outside the settlement of Kato [Lower] Symi of Viannos. The architectural plan of the church is the result of the addition of a spacious transept to the original, single-nave church, which is not far in date from […]
Saint Marina at Meseleroi
The single-nave church of St. Marina, whose south side is formed with a large buttress, is located on the east corner of the settlement of Meseleroi. It is dated according to the wall painting decoration, the work of an anonymous but excellent painter, to the first quarter of the 14th century. Its iconographic programme presents […]
Panagia Keragrammeni (Our Lady Inscribed) (Kapistri)
This small, single-space arch-covered church is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary and is extensively decorated with 15th century murals. Despite not being particularly well preserved, the murals are rather impressive and of excellent quality. The depictions of the Virgin and Child and of Jesus Christ stand out amongst them.
Panagia Barotsani (Virgin Mary of Barotsiana) (Argyropoulis)
A 13th century single-space shingled church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, situated in the ‘Barotsiana’ district. The Barotsides were nobles during the Venetian era and the broader region of Argyropoulis was their fief. The décor of the church, also known as ‘Panagia tou Barotsi’, is of the late gothic style. A smaller church dedicated to […]
Pente Parthenes (Holy Five Virgins) Church (Argyropoulis)
The tombs of the Holy Five Virgins, who were martyred in 205 AD, are located in a cave northwest of Argyropoulis. A single-space arch-covered church dedicated to the Five Virgins was built on top of these tombs.
Agios Georgios (St. George) (Artos)
A single-space arch-covered church to which a narthex was added in 1902. According to a carved inscription, it was renovated in 1401. The murals, which were revealed in 1970, depict the Evangelical cycle. The mural of the Second Coming stands out.
Agia Irini (St. Irene) (Axos)
The church of Saint Irene is a 14th century single-space arch-covered cruciform church that later acquired a dome. Few of its murals survive.
Agios Theodoros Trichinas (St. Theodore the Hair-Shirt Wearer) (Rethymno)
A single-spaced domed chapel situated between the ramparts of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Pavlos within the Venetian citadel of Fortezza. It was inaugurated in 1899 by the Russian commander of the occupation forces of Rethymno, but the building was possibly the result of repairs to an older, pre-existing Venetian church.