Church of Koimisi tis Theotokou & Agios Ioannis o Theologos (Dormition of Mother Mary & St. John the Divine) (Kavoussi)
This grand two-aisled church was built in 1847 and served as village cathedral until 1962. It was renovated in 2002. Its three-lobed belfry and gilded chancel screen with its 19th century icons are noteworthy. The church is home to a collection of 17th-19th century icons, most noteworthy of which is an early 17th century depiction […]
Agia Irini (St. Irene) (Kavoussi)
The single-space, Byzantine church dedicated to Saint Irene dates back to 1410 and is a modest arch-covered church adorned with murals.
The Church of Agioi Apostoloi at Kavousi
The single-nave church of the Holy Apostles, 100 metres to the south of St. George, also has two layers of wall paintings of the 14th and 15th centuries respectively. From the first layer very few forms can be discerned, such as the full-length figure of the woman donor on the north wall who has the […]
The Church of St. George at Kavousi
The large number of churches within and without the settlement of Kavousi is evidence of its flourishing, mainly during the period of Venetian occupation. St. George, in the centre of the settlement, belongs to the architectural plan of the single-nave church with a transverse, tripartite narthex. It has two layers of wall painting decoration of […]
Zoodochos Pigi (Life-giving Font) (Kavoussi)
The Byzantine church of the Life-Giving Font dates back to the 14th century. It is a small arch-covered church, though its murals are largely destroyed. Of particular interest are the depictions of the Akathist Hymn.