Saint Onoufrios at Voulismeni
The single-nave church of St. Onoufrios is located to the north of the village of Voulismeni on a plateau at the top of a small hill. It may have been the catholicon of a monastery –abandoned today already from the beginning of the 20th century– without any known reference to it in the sources. The […]
Church of Sotiras Christos (Christ the Redeemer) (Partira)
In the hamlet of Mikri Episkopi, approximately 1 km away from Partira, lie the ruins of the episcopal church of Sotiras Christos, dating back to the era of Venetian rule, when the settlement was the seat of the diocese of Arcadia. It is built in the cruciform domed style and parts of its walls, columns […]
Church of Agios Haralampos & Panagia (St. Charalampus & Mother Mary) (Paliama)
North of the village of Moroni, at the ruins of the small village of Paliama, there is a two-aisled church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Saint Charalampus, featuring ancient architectural elements in its masonry.
Panagia (Mother Mary) at Kirmousi
The church of Panagia survives south of the hamlet of Makres, in the completely deserted hamlet of Kirmousi. This is a 15th century single-aisled church, beside which traces of buildings and tombs have been excavating, findings that indicate the existence of a monastery.
This is one of the oldest convents on Crete, situated south of Venerato village and built on top of the ruins of an ancient temple, as confirmed by the capitals located in the courtyard of the convent. The convent is dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary and has been in operation since the first […]
Panagia Spileotissa (Virgin Mary of the Cave) Monastery
The Monastery of the Virgin Mary of the Cave is located on the hillside of a small canyon north of Houdetsi and is a glebe of Sina Monastery. The Monastery was founded in the 14th century and is built on three levels. The top level includes the Church of the True Cross and another church […]
Agios Ioannis (St. John) (Axos)
Built on the ruins of an older basilica, the church of Saint John is situated in the cemetery of Axos. The church stands out for its well-preserved murals and its impressive mosaic. The most remarkable of its murals could be the one depicting scenes from hell.
Agios Ioannis (St. John) (Episkopi)
The Byzantine basilica of Saint John in Episkopi was likely built on the ruins of an Early Christian Basilica. It is a wooden-roofed, three-aisled basilica that was built in the domed cruciform style after being destroyed in 1303. The surviving murals date back to the 14th century.
Halepa Monastery was founded at the end of the era of Venetian rule and, according to documents dating back to 1555, it owned a significant amount of property. Inside the Monastery, there is a fountain, a stable, as well as workshops. The founder, according to an inscription at the Monastery, was Ieremias Sgouros in 1637. […]
Agia Irini (St. Irene) Convent
The convent located near Rethymno was probably founded by Byzantine ascetics who lived as nuns in caves within the region. During the period of Venetian rule, the convent owned extensive land and operated throughout the period of Ottoman rule until the revolution of 1821, when it began to shrink. It subsequently underwent a long period […]