Agios Minas (St. Menas) (Episkopi)
St. Menas is the patron saint of the Diocese of Heraklion. It is a two-aisled church erected in 1882, with its northern aisle dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary and its southern aisle to St. Menas. One of the most noteworthy elements of the church is its marble chancel screen.
Evangelistria (Our Lady of Evangelisation) (Mochos)
This is a two-aisled arch-covered church dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and to Saint Paraskevi. It was built in 1835 on the ruins of an older church. It stands out for its magnificent wood-carved chancel screen and its 15th and 16th century icons.
Hodegetria (Our Lady of the Way) (Kritsa)
The 19th century two-aisled church is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary and to Saint Charalampus. The church is unique in that it combines elements of Byzantine, Venetian and Ottoman architecture. It is home to numerous portable icons, chief among them being that of Panagia Galaktotrofoussa (Virgin Mary Nursing the Baby Jesus).
Metamorphosis tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Redeemer) (Neapolis)
The two-aisled church is located in the cemetery of Neapolis and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Jesus and to All Saints. The northern aisle was the original centre of the church, in contrast to the southern aisle, which is more recent. The murals date back to the late 13th – early 14th century, the […]
Saint Constantine at Dories
The twin-naved church at Dories, dedicated to St. Constantine and to the Holy Cross, was the catholicon of a relatively small monastery from which only a few buildings survive with the most important of these being a barrel-vaulted one to the north of the church. The early history of the monastery, even though unknown in […]
Church of Agios Haralampos & Panagia (St. Charalampus & Mother Mary) (Paliama)
North of the village of Moroni, at the ruins of the small village of Paliama, there is a two-aisled church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Saint Charalampus, featuring ancient architectural elements in its masonry.
Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Zaros)
This is a small two-aisled church that may be the oldest church in Zaros. The southern aisle dates back to the 14th century and it was later extended with the addition of a second aisle in the 17th or 18th century. The wood-carved chancel screen is particularly artful, while many of the church’s icons are […]
Saint George & Saint Constantine at Pyrgos
The nave and the south aisle, dedicated to St. George and St. Constantine respectively, are the only remains of the original three-aisled church today. The present, north, aisle of St. George has mural painting of the end of the 13th century, characteristic of the antiquated art of the period in which six scenes from the […]
Holy Monastery of Odegetria
The monastery of Odegetria [All-Holy Virgin ‘She who leads the Way’] is located to the southwest of the sierra of Asterousia between the settlement of Listaro and the bay of Kaloi Limenes in an area with a continuous monastic presence for centuries. Even though the catholicon of the monastery has mural paintings of the 14th […]
Agia Irini Kroussona (St. Irene of Kroussonas) Monastery
The monastery, located south of Kroussonas, on the foothills of Psiloritis, was one of the richest monasteries during the first years of the era of Ottoman rule. It is cited in 16th century texts. In 1822, the monks were put to death, the monastery was destroyed and its property was given to Kera Monastery. The […]