Chrysopigi (Golden Font) Convent
The Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegic Monastery of Chrysopigi lies a short distance from the town of Chania. It was founded in the middle of the 16th century in the last period of Venetian rule in Crete. The Monastery is dedicated to our Lady of the Life-Giving Spring, who is known popularly as ‘Chrysopigi’, the Golden […]
Church of Zoodochos Pigi (Life-Giving Font) (Avli)
The old, stone-built church of Zoodochos Pigi, of exceptional architectural interest, is located deep within a small valley and its feast day is on the first Friday after Easter.
Agios Panteleimon (St. Pantaleon) (Bitzariano)
The Byzantine church of Agios Panteleimon, dating back to the 10th century, is a three-aisled basilica with two rows of colonnades. It is possible that, in antiquity, there was an Asclepeion at the site of the church. The aisles are dedicated to Saint Pantaleon, the Life-giving Font and Saint John. Few murals survive today, on […]
Panagia Kera (Our Lady) or Zoodochos Pigi (Life-Giving Font) (Ini)
The Church of Panagia Kera is located next to the small dam of Kera, southeast of Ini. Beside the church, which is located in a verdant landscape, there is a small cave containing a spring that, according to tradition, is miraculous.
Holy monastery of Kalyviani
The monastery of Kalyviani is located in the valley of Messara, at a distance of four kilometres from Moires. The monastic compound developed around the single-nave church of the 14th century. This church, probably the catholicon of an older monastery of hut-dwelling monks, acquired great fame because of its miraculous icon and became an important […]
Holy Monastery of Vidiani
The monastery of Vidiani is located in the northwest side of the Plateau of Lasithi. It was founded around the middle of the 19th century by the hieromonk, Methodios Perakis, who was its first abbot, in the area of the settlement of Vides, a large family from Lasithi whose name it took. The simple, mainly […]
Zoodochos Pigi (Life-giving Font) (Alikianos)
The church of Zoodochos Pigi (Life-giving Font) is also known as Ai kyr-Yiannis, from the name of its donor, Ioannis Xenos. It was built in 1030 and it is a cross-in-square church with a cupola. The internal decoration is in two layers. The first one dates back to the 11th century and was recently revealed […]
Zoodochos Pigi (Life-giving Font) (Kavoussi)
The Byzantine church of the Life-Giving Font dates back to the 14th century. It is a small arch-covered church, though its murals are largely destroyed. Of particular interest are the depictions of the Akathist Hymn.
Holy Monastery of Faneromeni at Ierapetra
The monastery, which celebrates on the Dormition of the Theotokos, is located on the north side of Mount Stavros, a steep elevation west of the archaeological area of Gournies. Its foundation date is unknown even though non-extant sources mention it already at the end of the 13th century, connecting it with the revolution of the […]
Panagia Karydiou (Mother Mary of Karydi) Monastery
The monastery is built at an altitude of 750 metres, on a spot that affords it a spectacular view. It serves as a glebe of Panagia Faneromeni Monastery, and its catholicon is dedicated to the Life-Giving Font (originally, it was dedicated to the Nativity of Mary). It was renovated in 1839, but none of its […]