Church of Agios Thomas
The settlement of Agios Thomas, built in a privileged location, 30 kilometres to the south of the city of Heraklion, preserves a large number of churches in relation to its size. The three-aisled church with a domed narthex of St. Thomas from which the settlement took its name dominates the centre of the settlement. Its […]
Church of Agii Anargyri
A small three-aisled church, dedicated to the Early Christian martyrs and Saints Cosmas and Damian, as well as to Saint Artemios and Saint Charalampos. It is located in the Agii Anargyri quarter. It is not known when the church was built, however it is believed that it dates back to the Venetian period (13th century). […]
Catholic Cathedral and Parish Church of the Dormition of Our Lady
A three-aisled, neoclassical style church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was inaugurated in April 1879. It has operated continuously since then, as the Cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Crete. It is located in Halidon Street.
Panayia Eleoussa (Mother Mary of Merci) – Kitharida
The Byzantine church situated just outside Kitharida may be one of the most interesting churches on Crete, architecturally speaking. It consists of three aisles, a narthex and three domes, one for each aisle. The church served as the catholicon for a monastery destroyed during the revolution of 1866.
Panagia ton Stavroforon (Mother Mary of the Crusaders)
The Mother Mary of the Crusaders is part of a Latin monastery of the Crusaders (Crosecchieri), the remaining structures of which no longer survive. It is a three-aisled basilica with an elevated nave. It was destroyed by German bombs during the Battle of Crete in 1941 and was restored in 1956.
Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
The big church of St. Menas, to the northeast of the small one, was built between 1862–1895 by a practical architect from Epirus, Athanasios Mousis, with frequent contributions of the monasteries and donations from hundreds of Christians, as can be noted from the church’s manuscript books of donations. It is an eclectic monument whose architectural […]
All – Holy Virgin the Galatiani at Malia
Τhe three-aisled church of the All-Holy Virgin in the old centre of the settlement of Malia is the result of successive interpolations to an original single-nave church, the present nave. During the late Venetian period, the church was expanded with the addition of the north and south aisles. The original church has good quality wall […]
Holy Spirit – Christ the Saviour at Limnakaro
Τhe twin-naved church, dedicated to the Transfiguration and the Holy Spirit, is located in the small plateau of Limnakaro close to the plateau of Lasithi at an elevation of 1130 metres. It is the only church of the Lasithi plateau with mural paintings of the Venetian period, a fact that is contrary to the sources […]
The Early Christian Basilicas of Kastri at Chersonesos
In the modern settlement of Limenas at Chersonesos, which has been built atop the ancient city of Cherronesos, three basilicas have been discovered, indicative of the great prosperity of the settlement also during the early Byzantine period when it was the seat of the homonymous ancient diocese. The most important of these, the basilica B, […]
The Early Christian Basilicas of Agios Nikolaos at Chersonesos
In the modern settlement of Limenas at Chersonesos, which has been built atop the ancient city of Cherronesos, three basilicas have been discovered, indicative of the great prosperity of the settlement also during the early Byzantine period when it was the seat of the homonymous ancient diocese. Basilica A of St. Nicholas, as it was […]