Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Voritsi)
The church of St. Kyriake was built in 1901 by an ascetic named ‘Mose’, who lived in the cave located next to the church.
Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Zaros)
This is a small two-aisled church that may be the oldest church in Zaros. The southern aisle dates back to the 14th century and it was later extended with the addition of a second aisle in the 17th or 18th century. The wood-carved chancel screen is particularly artful, while many of the church’s icons are […]
Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Argyropoulis)
The church of Saint Kyriake is located on the banks of the Mousellas river and was built on the site of a Roman bathhouse. It is a single-space arch-covered church with 11th and 13th century murals, most of which have been destroyed. The depiction of the Supplication on the apse of altar is impressive.
Churches at Kantanos
Kantanos flourished in the Hellenistic and Roman times as well as during the first Byzantine period, when it seemed to have played an important role, since it was the See of the Bishop who attended the Council of Chalkedon (Synod of Chalki) in 451. The long religious tradition of the territory is evidenced by traces […]