Panagia Barotsani (Virgin Mary of Barotsiana) (Argyropoulis)
A 13th century single-space shingled church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, situated in the ‘Barotsiana’ district. The Barotsides were nobles during the Venetian era and the broader region of Argyropoulis was their fief. The décor of the church, also known as ‘Panagia tou Barotsi’, is of the late gothic style. A smaller church dedicated to […]
Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Kissos)
A one-aisled, tile covered church without windows, possibly erected in the 14th century. The church is covered by two layers of murals preserved in very good condition and the wooden iconostasis was made in 1935.
Agios Theodorus (St. Theodore) (Nefs Amari)
This is a small, one-aisled, tile-roofed church, with murals dating to 1588 and 1731, not very well preserved. The bell tower has a representation of Mother Mary.
Agios Ioannis o Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Gerakari)
A little outside Gerakari, at ‘Photis’ location, there is a Church of St. John; it is one-aisled and tile-roofed and was built in the 12th or the13th century. A narthex with a cupola was added to the only aisle. The murals are well-preserved and they date back to the 13th century.
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) Church (Thronos)
This is a one-aisle, tile-roofed church of the 14th century, built on the ruins of an older Metropolitan church. The coats of arms of the Kallergis’ family are also found in this church, which means that it probably belonged to them. The murals dating from the 13th and 14th centuries include an impressive enthroned Madonna […]