birth of the Theotokos
All – Holy Virgin the Vrefokratousa at Agios Nikolaos
The particularly elongated church of the All-Holy Virgin in the old centre of the city of Agios Nikolaos is the result of two successive expansions to the west of the original barrel-vaulted, single-nave church. The original church and the first expansion have two layers of mural paintings of which the oldest, dating to the first […]
Holy Monastery of Koufi Petra
The female monastery of Koufi Petra (Hollow Stone) is built to the west and at a close distance from the monastery of Kremasta, also on the slopes of Mount Kavallara. The only mention of the monastery in the sources is the indirect reference in a contract of the monastery of Areti, in the year 1630, […]
Agia Ekaterini and Genessio tis Theotokou (St. Catherine & Nativity of Mary) (Armenoi)
The church of Saint Catherine is located in the abandoned village of Etia, close to the impressive Venetian mansion Dei Mezzo. It is a two-aisled church dedicated to Saint Catherine and the Virgin Mary. The original aisle was adorned with murals. The church’s architecture and sophisticated decorative elements betray Renaissance influence, and its relief-decorated belfry […]
Church of Genessio tis Theotokou (Nativity of Mary), Timios Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) and Agios Georgios (St. George) (Epano Episkopi)
A large, three-aisled dome-roofed basilica, this church was likely built on the site of an Early Christian basilica. The nave is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary, and the aisles are dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and Saint George.
Panagia Keragrammeni (Our Lady Inscribed) (Kapistri)
This small, single-space arch-covered church is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary and is extensively decorated with 15th century murals. Despite not being particularly well preserved, the murals are rather impressive and of excellent quality. The depictions of the Virgin and Child and of Jesus Christ stand out amongst them.