Agios Theodoros Trichinas (St. Theodore the Hair-Shirt Wearer) (Rethymno)
A single-spaced domed chapel situated between the ramparts of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Pavlos within the Venetian citadel of Fortezza. It was inaugurated in 1899 by the Russian commander of the occupation forces of Rethymno, but the building was possibly the result of repairs to an older, pre-existing Venetian church.
Agios Haralampos & Agios Theodoros (St. Charalampus & St. Theodore) (Spili)
A two-aisled church dedicated to St. Charalampus and St. Theodore, the oldest aisle dedicated to the latter. Unfortunately, only the sanctum murals have been preserved; however, the wonderful wood-carved iconostasis includes 19th century icons with typical features of the Cretan School. The church also has an impressive bell tower with baroque elements.
Early Christian Basilica (Vizari)
It is an early Christian basilica situated just outside the hamlet at a location called Ellinika. It is a three-aisled basilica with a narthex and a wooden roof, dedicated to Mother Mary and St. Vlasius and St.Theodore. It dates from the 6th century and was altered during the 8th or 9th century. It was probably […]
Agios Theodorus (St. Theodore) (Nefs Amari)
This is a small, one-aisled, tile-roofed church, with murals dating to 1588 and 1731, not very well preserved. The bell tower has a representation of Mother Mary.