Agios Minas (St. Menas) (Episkopi)
St. Menas is the patron saint of the Diocese of Heraklion. It is a two-aisled church erected in 1882, with its northern aisle dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary and its southern aisle to St. Menas. One of the most noteworthy elements of the church is its marble chancel screen.
Old Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
This is the ‘small’ church of St. Menas and the Pantanassa (Most Holy Queen of All), with its intricate, gilded, wood-carved chancel screen and its valuable 18th century icons painted by renowned Cretan hagiographers. The church is linked to a bloody incident in the city’s history, as it was the site where, in June 1821, […]
Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
The big church of St. Menas, to the northeast of the small one, was built between 1862–1895 by a practical architect from Epirus, Athanasios Mousis, with frequent contributions of the monasteries and donations from hundreds of Christians, as can be noted from the church’s manuscript books of donations. It is an eclectic monument whose architectural […]