The church of Panagia Kera at Kritsa
The three-aisled, barrel-vaulted church of the All-Holy Virgin ‘the Lady’ with a dome on the nave is located to the south and at a distance of around 500 metres from the settlement of Kritsas. The church is one of the most important visited monuments of Crete because of its extensive and well-preserved wall painting decoration […]
Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Syrmesso)
The church was the catholicon of a 16th century monastery of the same name. It is a single-space arch-covered church with a semi-circular relief arch at the southern entrance. Its western side is linked to the main church with an arched narthex, while around the catholicon one can see the ruins of the Monastery that […]
Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) Monastery (Arvi)
Agios Antonios Monastery was founded around 1880 by the monk Artemios. According to tradition, Artemios initially selected the exit of Arvi canyon, where the temple of Arvios Zeus was located, as the location for the Monastery, but later moved higher up, on the eastern foothills, where he built the first cells of the Monastery. The […]
Agiofaraggo of the Holy Monastery of Odegetria
The Agiofaraggo [Holy Gorge] is found within the boundaries, and belongs to, the Monastery of Odegetria. Within the surrounding area, which followed the apostolic tradition of the Church of the Gortynians, with the beneficial morphology of the land and a mild climate, the Agiofaraggo thrived as a place where Christian monasticism developed, particularly in its […]
Holy Monastery of Apezana
The monastery of Apezana is located on the west side of the sierra of Asterousia and north of Kaloi Limenes (Fair Havens) in an area with a significant monastic tradition. The earliest known mention of the monastery is dated to the middle of the 16th century, even though it is likely that the existence of […]
This is a Franciscan monastery, its name originated from the phrase ‘Frates Minores’. It was founded before the second half of the 14th century and its catholicon, dedicated to Saint Anthony, is of Roman Catholicon construction with an ogival arch.
Church of Agios Antonios (Koutsouras)
The murals of this tiny arch-covered church have not been preserved well. Among the images that remain visible are scenes from the Christological cycle, the images of saints and a rare depiction of the Virgin Mary presenting Christ to John the Baptist as a pupil.
Church of Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Mirtos)
Dedicated to Saint Anthony and to the Ascension of Christ, this single-aisled church was likely built in the late 14th century. It was later destroyed and subsequently rebuilt in 1853. Ancient pieces of marble, parts of statues and column bases can be seen in sections of its western wall and in its altar.
Agios Antonios (St. Anthony) (Patsos)
The church is built within a rock, in the lush green of the gorge of St. Anthony. It is accessible through a well-kept path and can be reached after a brief walk. This exceptional church contains numerous portable icons and a wealth of votive offerings of various types.
Churches at Sougia
The presence of at least three early Christian basilicas with exceptional mosaic floors from the 6th century indicates that the city existed during the first Byzantine period. It must have declined after the 7th century, but it is not known whether it was completely deserted. In any case, the church of St. Irene, dating back […]