Agios Theodoros Trichinas (St. Theodore the Hair-Shirt Wearer) (Rethymno)
A single-spaced domed chapel situated between the ramparts of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Pavlos within the Venetian citadel of Fortezza. It was inaugurated in 1899 by the Russian commander of the occupation forces of Rethymno, but the building was possibly the result of repairs to an older, pre-existing Venetian church.
Kyria ton Aggelon (Lady of the Angels) (Rethymno)
The church of the ‘Lady of the Angels’ is also known as ‘Mikri Panagia’ (‘Little Virgin Mary’), in contrast to the ‘Megali Panagia’ (‘Large Virgin Mary’), i.e. the metropolitan church. It was built in the late years of the era of Venetian rule and was dedicated to Mary Magdalene.
Agia Varvara (St. Barbara) (Rethymno)
The church of Agia Varvara is built in the architectural style of free cross with dome. It was erected in 1885 at the site of an older church dating back to 1663, which was also dedicated to Saint Barbara, the patron saint of Rethymno. During the Ottoman era, the church was converted into a bathhouse […]
Eisodia Theotokou (Presentation of the Virgin Mary) (Rethymno)
The metropolitan church of Rethymno is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The church was erected over three periods. During the era of Venetian rule, there was a small church at this site; in 1844, it was demolished and a larger one was erected at its location. Its present-day form is a three-aisled […]
Tesseris Martyres (Four Martyrs) (Rethymno)
This church is dedicated to the local New Martyrs Aggelis, Manouil, Georgios and Nikolaos, who were martyred in 1824 and recognised by local society as protectors of the city. Two other churches pre-existed at the site of the present-day church, but were demolished. The present-day church was constructed in 1975 in the three-aisled arch-covered style, […]
Metamorfoseos Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Redeemer) Convent
The Convent of the Transfiguration of the Saviour is situated on Koumbes hill, just outside the centre of Rethymno. This is a women’s convent founded in 1935, originally as a church, by Vassalos, an elder of Mount Athos. Since 1970, buildings began being erected around the church, which was gradually converted into a Convent. The […]
Agia Irini (St. Irene) Convent
The convent located near Rethymno was probably founded by Byzantine ascetics who lived as nuns in caves within the region. During the period of Venetian rule, the convent owned extensive land and operated throughout the period of Ottoman rule until the revolution of 1821, when it began to shrink. It subsequently underwent a long period […]
Holy Metropolis of Rethymno and Avlopotamos
The former provinces of Rethymno and Mylopotamos comprise the Holy Metropolis of Rethymno and Avlopotamos. The first Dioceses of the region were first established in the 5th century AD. Minutes of the 3rd and 4th Ecumenical Council mention the Dioceses of Lampe and Eleftherna. Another Diocese located in an ancient city was the Diocese of […]