wood-carved chancel screen
Old Metropolitan Church of Agios Minas (St. Menas)
This is the ‘small’ church of St. Menas and the Pantanassa (Most Holy Queen of All), with its intricate, gilded, wood-carved chancel screen and its valuable 18th century icons painted by renowned Cretan hagiographers. The church is linked to a bloody incident in the city’s history, as it was the site where, in June 1821, […]
Evangelistria (Our Lady of Evangelisation) (Mochos)
This is a two-aisled arch-covered church dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and to Saint Paraskevi. It was built in 1835 on the ruins of an older church. It stands out for its magnificent wood-carved chancel screen and its 15th and 16th century icons.
Saint Constantine at Dories
The twin-naved church at Dories, dedicated to St. Constantine and to the Holy Cross, was the catholicon of a relatively small monastery from which only a few buildings survive with the most important of these being a barrel-vaulted one to the north of the church. The early history of the monastery, even though unknown in […]
Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriake) (Zaros)
This is a small two-aisled church that may be the oldest church in Zaros. The southern aisle dates back to the 14th century and it was later extended with the addition of a second aisle in the 17th or 18th century. The wood-carved chancel screen is particularly artful, while many of the church’s icons are […]
Holy Monastery of Apezana
The monastery of Apezana is located on the west side of the sierra of Asterousia and north of Kaloi Limenes (Fair Havens) in an area with a significant monastic tradition. The earliest known mention of the monastery is dated to the middle of the 16th century, even though it is likely that the existence of […]
Agias Triados and Panagias (Holy Trinity & Mother Mary) Church (Sfaka)
This two-aisled church bears the date “2 March 1643”. The ornate wood-carved chancel screens of its two aisles were crafted during 1845 – 1849.
Eisodia Theotokou (Presentation of the Virgin Mary) (Rethymno)
The metropolitan church of Rethymno is dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The church was erected over three periods. During the era of Venetian rule, there was a small church at this site; in 1844, it was demolished and a larger one was erected at its location. Its present-day form is a three-aisled […]
Profitis Ilias (Prophet Elijah) Monastery
Profitis Ilias Monastery is located on rocky, elevated terrain near the village Roustika. The monastery was built during the era of Venetian rule and belongs to the citadel style of architecture, with its catholicon being a three-aisled domed basilica dedicated to the Prophet Eli, the Holy Trinity and the Holy Cincture. The catholicon contains a […]
Agios Haralampos & Agios Theodoros (St. Charalampus & St. Theodore) (Spili)
A two-aisled church dedicated to St. Charalampus and St. Theodore, the oldest aisle dedicated to the latter. Unfortunately, only the sanctum murals have been preserved; however, the wonderful wood-carved iconostasis includes 19th century icons with typical features of the Cretan School. The church also has an impressive bell tower with baroque elements.
Agios Ioannis Theologos (St. John the Divine) (Kissos)
A one-aisled, tile covered church without windows, possibly erected in the 14th century. The church is covered by two layers of murals preserved in very good condition and the wooden iconostasis was made in 1935.