Holy Monastery of Odegetria
The monastery of Odegetria [All-Holy Virgin ‘She who leads the Way’] is located to the southwest of the sierra of Asterousia between the settlement of Listaro and the bay of Kaloi Limenes in an area with a continuous monastic presence for centuries. Even though the catholicon of the monastery has mural paintings of the 14th […]
Holy Monastery of Vrontisi
The monastery of St. Anthony at Vrontisi is located at the southern feet of the sierra of Psiloreites, at a distance of around 2 kilometres from the settlement of Zaros. Even though the first written references to the monastery date to the early 15th century, it is possible that it was founded much earlier. The […]
Metamorphosis (Transfiguration) Monastery
The monastery was founded in 1615. The catholicon of the monastery is a single-space arch-covered church, its chancel screen featuring a painting of Adam and Eve, one the one side at the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and on the other during their expulsion from the paradise.
Koimisi tis Theotokou (Dormition of Mother Mary) (Armenoi)
The originally arch-covered church was later expanded with the addition of a narthex. The remarkable icons in its chancel screen date back to the 18th and 19th century.
Agios Ioannis (St. John) (Anogia)
A two-aisled arch-covered church, with its south aisle dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and the north to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The murals date back to the 14th century but survive in poor condition. The mural of Panagia Glykofiloussa (Virgin Mary of Sweet Kisses), also known as ‘Paramythia’, is impressive and rare, […]
Tesseris Martyres (Four Martyrs) (Rethymno)
This church is dedicated to the local New Martyrs Aggelis, Manouil, Georgios and Nikolaos, who were martyred in 1824 and recognised by local society as protectors of the city. Two other churches pre-existed at the site of the present-day church, but were demolished. The present-day church was constructed in 1975 in the three-aisled arch-covered style, […]
Holy Monastery of Toplou
The monastery of Toplou or the Akrotiriani [All-Holy Virgin of the Cape], as it is called due to its position in the eastern corner of Crete, is one of the most renowned and important monasteries of the island. Its establishment probably dates to the late 14th century, a period during which the original catholicon was […]