1

Church of Agii Anargyri

A small three-aisled church, dedicated to the Early Christian martyrs and Saints Cosmas and Damian, as well as to Saint Artemios and Saint Charalampos. It is located in the Agii Anargyri quarter. It is not known when the church was built, however it is believed that it dates back to the Venetian period (13th century). […]

MORE
2

Saint Nicholas’ Church (Splantzia Square)

The church of Saint Nicholas was built in the Venetian years (circa 1320) as the main church of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. During the Turkish rule it was transformed into a mosque, and an impressive minaret with two balconies was erected. In 1928 it became an Orthodox church. It is located east of […]

MORE
3

Sotiras (Afentis) Christos (Redeemer (Lord) Christ) (Yiouchtas)

The church of Christ the Redeemer is tetramartyros (with four dedications) and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ (August 6), the Holy Cincture (August 31), the Holy Apostles (30 June) and the Holy Unmercenaries (July 1). It was founded in 1443 and is the only remainder of the monastery that was in operation here […]

MORE
4

Aghiou Petrou & Pavlou (St. Peter & St. Paul) Church

The church was built during the early era of Venetian rule next to the sea wall of the city and served as the Catholicon of the Monastery of the Dominican Order. In its initial form, it was a single-aised wooden-roofed church and four chapels were gradually added to it. Its architecture is particularly interesting, as […]

MORE
5

Agios Titos (St. Titus)

The church of St. Titus was the largest and most magnificent church in the city during the 2nd Byzantine era, serving as the Metropolis of the Diocese of Crete. During the era of Venetian rule, it served as the seat of the Latin Archbishop, while during the Ottoman era, it was converted into a mosque, […]

MORE
6
Ιερά Μητρόπολη Κυδωνίας και Αποκορώνου

Holy Metropolis of Kydonia and Apokoronos

The Metropolis comprises the provinces of Kydonia and Apokoronos, in the Prefecture of Chania and its See is in Chania. Kydonia was one of the oldest and most important cities on Crete. Its diocese, like most on the island, was funded by St. Titus. It was founded even before 381 AD, since Bishop Kydoios attended […]

MORE
7

Holy Spirit – Christ the Saviour at Limnakaro

Τhe twin-naved church, dedicated to the Transfiguration and the Holy Spirit, is located in the small plateau of Limnakaro close to the plateau of Lasithi at an ­elevation of 1130 metres. It is the only church of the Lasithi plateau with mural paintings of the Venetian period, a fact that is contrary to the sources […]

MORE
8

The Holy Metropolis of Kissamos and Selino

The Metropolis includes the provinces of the same name in the Prefecture of Chania and its See is in Kissamos, which was already an Archdiocese as early as early Christian times. The age of the Archdiocese is known due to the attendance of Bishop Eukissos at the Synod (Council) of Sardica in 343. At Rethymnon […]

MORE
9

Agios Georgios (St. George) (Prina)

This is a single-space arch-covered church with murals dating back to the first centuries of the era of Venetian rule.

MORE
10

Agia Varvara (St. Barbara) (Syrmesso)

The single-space arch-covered church of Agia Varvara was the catholicon of a Monastery during the era of Venetian rule, with the monastery structures being visible around the church. The depiction of Saint Barbara on the drum of the semi-circular relief arch is particularly impressive.

MORE