From Kolymbari to Kantanos and Sougia SEE ALL AVAILABLE ROUTES
At the west end of the Gulf of Chania, after the residential hamlet of Tavronitis, further east from Kolymbari, the road travels south, parallel to the course of the River Tavronitis.
It goes through a luscious rural landscape and after the village of Voukolies, it starts climbing the hills until the historic village of Kantanos, where the churches of St. Nicholas, St. John the Divine (Theologos), Prophet Elijah, Saint Paraskevi, Saint Kyriaki, St. George, etc. are located.
The road continues in a southerly direction up to the village of Plemeniana where there is the Church of Christ the Saviour (Soter) and then the village of Kakodiki, with the churches of Archangel Michael, St. Isidore and Mother Mary (Panagia).
In Azogyre visitors can see the church of the Holy Fathers (Agion Pateron) and then, travelling east, they arrive at Temenia with the Church of Christ the Saviour (Soter).
Further to the east, in Moni, one can visit the church of St. Nicholas and then, at the exit of the valley, in the coastal hamlet of Sougia, there are the churches of St. Panteleimon and Saint Irene.
Churches at Sougia
The presence of at least three early Christian basilicas with exceptional mosaic floors from the 6th century indicates that the city existed during the first Byzantine period. It must have declined after the 7th century, but it is not known whether it was completely deserted. In any case, the church of St. Irene, dating back […]
The church of St. Nicholas (Agios Nikolaos) (Moni)
Part of the church of St. Nicholas was decorated with painting works by Ioannis Pagomenos in 1315.
Churches at Kakodiki
In this hamlet, which has probably existed since the 14th century, there is a church dedicated to Archangel Michael with mural icons and an inscription dating from 1420 and a church dedicated to Saint Isidore, near the neighbouring hamlet of Tzeneliana, again with mural decorations dating back to 1420.
Churches at Plemeniana
Near the hamlet there are traces of early Christian basilicas dating from the 5th and 6th centuries. Within the walls of the Church of Christ the Saviour (Soter), parts of an old early Christian basilica have been incorporated; Inscriptions have been preserved, the oldest of which bears the year 1362. In St. George’s Church there […]
Churches at Kantanos
Kantanos flourished in the Hellenistic and Roman times as well as during the first Byzantine period, when it seemed to have played an important role, since it was the See of the Bishop who attended the Council of Chalkedon (Synod of Chalki) in 451. The long religious tradition of the territory is evidenced by traces […]
The church of Christ the Saviour (Sotiros Christou) (Temenia)
The church of Christ the Saviour (Soter) was created in two stages: the first stage dates back to the 13th century and the second one to the 14th century. Its murals date back to the 16th – 17th centuries.
St. John’s Cave (Spileo Agiou Ioanni) (Azogyre)
The Byzantine hamlet, where traces from the Hellenistic and Roman periods have been found, is associated with St. John the Hermit, one of the Fathers who lived like a hermit in the cave of the hamlet.